Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South bend meet pics...please

South bend meet pics...please

Well, I'm disappointed...my truck still sits, full tank of gas, ready to roll. But, I just couldn't allow myself to make the ten-hour trek. Monday was used up getting my mom (97) to her cardiologist. Tuesday, was my annual physical exam (I passed), and then yesterday I had to drive my wife for an ENT exam for some tests trying to determine why she is having vertigo (balance) issues. Although the test seemed to go well, she had some residual effects from the tests and didn't feel well.

My health issues (agent orange/Vietnam related diabetes) I have been able to adjust to and maintain fairly good health. So, I was ready for the ten-hour drive, but somehow, there seemed to be a little spirit whispering in my ear "They need you."

Therefore, I made coffee a little after 5:AM contemplated the situation and decided not to leave. So, if anyone remembers the camera that is on your phone, how 'bout taking some pics and post them here. Vendors, customers, forum members, cars, and parts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has good reasons for not being able to attend. A good collection of pictures would be a nice consolation and hopefully an inspiration to motivate us to try to make the next one!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    I’ll post up some tomorrow, I’ll be arriving by plane tomorrow morning.... but driving home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by what huh View Post
    I’ll post up some tomorrow, I’ll be arriving by plane tomorrow morning.... but driving home!!!
    Sounds exciting! Hope you have fun...both ways!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

You know you made the right choice though. I'm sitting here at work, the clock will go slow today. But at least I'll get tomorrow in. Looks like we will get the weather we should have had last year for the national meet. Pics for sure.

If anyone sees a tinted driver's side rear GT Hawk window.....I need one!
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

jclary, Cindy from the SDC site on Facebook is there taking videos right now. She is covering it all looks like.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by what huh View Post
    Well I hate to disappoint but my plane was delayed 3 hrs and I didn’t get much time at the show. I also forgot my laptop to post pictures, .... but anyways I’ll post some when I get home.

President Member
    what wrote -
    ""...but anyways I’ll post some when I get home.""

How many "ways"...?
    Wouldn't that be "anyway"..?

Mike

Mike ---You are obviously not from south Jersey.

Tom

As always, Facebook is the place to be. Some great videos there.
    https://m.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc/

Speedster Member
    Sorry. Need to be a part of TFB or join TFB & ain't doing it. Send pics & I'll enjoy. Ask me to join TFB fahhhgettaboutit.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Don’t be sorry. If you want to be backward and small minded, you have that right. I just posted for the open minded who may not know what they’re missing.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Don’t be sorry. If you want to be backward and small minded, you have that right. I just posted for the open minded who may not know what they’re missing.
    Wow. Well, then.
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

I’m just saying the truth. It gets beyond tiring to see people who won’t even bother finding out what Facebook actually is, and just act like it’s some terrible thing. Especially here, where it reinforces the image that Studebaker people are nothing but old fogeys.

Bams has a very short memory!!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=Facebook

Craig

Are the cars pictured in post 10 for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
    Well...a good example where not all "CONVERSIONS" are religious. And to think...all I requested was a few posted pics of the meet. No mention was made as to the method. With the latest controversy over privacy breaches, censorship, and other issues of social media...I feel a bit vindicated for staying away from those venues. However, my main reason still applies...TOO MANY RELATIVES!

(And, I still consider Bob Andrews a friend.)
    Last edited by jclary; 05-05-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    So we have learned two things:
    1- there were many nice cars at south bend- thanks for the pics
    2- if you don’t agree with Bob Andrews, you are backward, small minded and an old fogey just like all other Studebaker owners- which I resent- because I’m significantly younger than You, Bob.

Silver Hawk Member
    I resisted Facebook for a number of years because it seemed to be a place that excelled it discussing minutia and posting pictures of a last meal. Then Judy got interested because it was her only way to stay in contact with family members on a daily basis. I must say she took to it like a crow on a road kill carcass so I got the info I needed through her.

A while back there were enough references to Stude/Avanti material on it to pique my interest so I said WTH and joined up. I found what I wanted but paid for it with an interminable amount of notices and offers to friend that I came very close to ash canning the whole thing. I finally found the magic button that let me turn off all the offers and notifications so I remain in peace when I want to look at the content and then just move on without a trail of notifications following me out.

Do they have my info, yup, but so do another hundred or so websites and several content providers so I'm paying the price for the info I want just like several billion other folks on the planet.

For you old codgers that keep resisting, give it a try. If you don't like it, opt out and go on with life.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    Sorry. Need to be a part of TFB or join TFB & ain't doing it. Send pics & I'll enjoy. Ask me to join TFB fahhhgettaboutit.
    I am not a member of Facebook. I was able to view all of the videos on Facebook utilizing Bob A's link with no problems or hoops to jump through. Thanks for the link, Bob A.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I am not a member of Facebook. I was able to view all of the videos on Facebook utilizing Bob A's link with no problems or hoops to jump through. Thanks for the link, Bob A.
    Well...I've tried the link (in post #11), and all I get besides the initial website, is a pop-up requiring me to either sign in or create an account. I suppose I'm doing something wrong or just too much of an "old fogey" to figure it out.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

I'm an "old fogey" at age 55. I enjoy the forum, and browsing the internet, but I've noticed that most people that I know with facebook, seem to waste a lot of time watching it. It's definitely a free world, so I'm happy for those that enjoy it, but I have better ways to spend my time. I have a smart phone, but it's not glued to my hand. It's just convenient at times to check ebay, or google some unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by 61Lark View Post
    Are the cars pictured in post 10 for sale?

No just a couple cars I thought were cool.

No particular reason why.
    There was a nice mid-fifties president that was pretty cool too. I am not sure what year it was. Maybe 55??

Quote Originally Posted by Studelarkrod View Post
    No just a couple cars I thought were cool.

No particular reason why.
    There was a nice mid-fifties president that was pretty cool too. I am not sure what year it was. Maybe 55??
    Thank you!!!!

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    I’m just saying the truth. It gets beyond tiring to see people who won’t even bother finding out what Facebook actually is, and just act like it’s some terrible thing. Especially here, where it reinforces the image that Studebaker people are nothing but old fogeys.
    Just an FYI, I went to the link https://m.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc/ the video's play and I'M NOT A REGISTERED FACEBOOK USER - and at sixty I am at least a young "old Fogey."
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Silver Hawk Member
    Bob-
    I think maybe we've had this conversation before . . . . . .

We should all get to spend our free time doing what we want, and not let pressure from others influence our behavior. I have stopped recommending movies and TV shows to others (and have stopped watching those recommended to me) because I have discovered that I don't LIKE what many other people like. I admit to being an old fogey, but I can't do anything about that. What I CAN do is spend my free time doing something I want to do.

When I finally retired after 50+ years of working in various capacities for the Navy, I said I wanted to spend more time: (1) reading more books, (2) drinking more beer, and (3) working on my old cars and trucks. I have largely failed in all three for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I spend too much time sitting in front of a computer (something I actually got paid to do for the last 25 years of employment) -- so I am not looking for ways to expand my screen time even further. I have a stepson who actually works for Facebook, and last year got the tour of the Menlo Park HQ -- so I'm under some modest pressure to sign on. But I have no living relatives on my side of the family, and I get enough Studebaker lore on this forum to satisfy me. If that confirms my image of an old fogey, so be it.

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Thanx 2R5!
    All shiny & nice, but way behind the white Avanti; a rough gasser! No pic of that one thou...
    The black Lark was pretty sexy too.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

All John asked for were pictures in the original post. I could have predicted what came next. Bob Andrews does his now once-a-year post about Facebook and pokes the hornet's nest. Everybody else piles on and the original request is forgotten about. I'd like to see some pictures too.

Have a nice year Bob. I guess we'll be hearing from you about this time next year.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Bob-
    I think maybe we've had this conversation before . . . . . .

We should all get to spend our free time doing what we want, and not let pressure from others influence our behavior. I have stopped recommending movies and TV shows to others (and have stopped watching those recommended to me) because I have discovered that I don't LIKE what many other people like. I admit to being an old fogey, but I can't do anything about that. What I CAN do is spend my free time doing something I want to do.

When I finally retired after 50+ years of working in various capacities for the Navy, I said I wanted to spend more time: (1) reading more books, (2) drinking more beer, and (3) working on my old cars and trucks. I have largely failed in all three for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I spend too much time sitting in front of a computer (something I actually got paid to do for the last 25 years of employment) -- so I am not looking for ways to expand my screen time even further. I have a stepson who actually works for Facebook, and last year got the tour of the Menlo Park HQ -- so I'm under some modest pressure to sign on. But I have no living relatives on my side of the family, and I get enough Studebaker lore on this forum to satisfy me. If that confirms my image of an old fogey, so be it.
    Skip, not a thing wrong with that. If one does not want more and better avenues to pursue what they are interested in, that is a reasonable choice. But as I’m sure you have seen, there are plenty of irrational reasons based on complete ignorance of the venue why some don’t join Facebook. Even worse, people completely fabricate out right lies about it, I guess to make themselves feel intelligent or something. And when they are called on it for what it is, you can see them freak out – including some examples in this thread.

On Facebook I am a member of several pages related to varying interests, mostly auto related. Last summer I did a tutorial on rebuilding a pair of lark fenders; the usual rest area along the back edge, and the eyebrows. I had other fenders for the car; the point was to show a pair being rebuilt that most would throw away, and that it can be done. I documented the process with photos every step of the way; very simple, posted directly to Facebook. No figuring out a host, and creating links, only to worry that eventually sad host will leave all my photos high and dry – like Photobucket did here.

I posted the process on a few different Facebook pages. Most everybody was happy to see the process. Interestingly, the only snide comments I got were on a Studebaker page- same nonsense that goes on here. But even then, it was very minor. Most people like to network about their interests and advancing their knowledge of same. Facebook does that in spades, easier and quicker than anywhere else. Why people are so afraid of it, to the point of making up out right lies about it, escapes me.

Some people use it to chit chat with other people about next to nothing. Of course, you don’t have to do that if you don’t want to, and I do not. There are very few people that I actually follow; our use it just about all for business and personal interests. You do not have to except or consort with anyone, anywhere, you don’t want to. It’s just the natural progression of things; Facebook has made the old-time newsgroups obsolete. Eventually, something will probably come along and make Facebook obsolete. Until then, I’m going to continue to recognize that life is short; that I’ve already lived way more than I have left; and I’m going to use and enjoy whatever time I have left to the best of my ability.

And, that involves two things: forward thinking, and not giving the slightest damn about anybody’s efforts to keep me from same.

Thank you for your always rational comment, my friend. If you will excuse me, I am off to live my life as full as I can

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Well...I've tried the link (in post #11), and all I get besides the initial website, is a pop-up requiring me to either sign in or create an account. I suppose I'm doing something wrong or just too much of an "old fogey" to figure it out.
    Gary and John, two more of the really good people here. I tried to message each of you privately, but forgot how to work that archaic message system. I hope all is well with you, especially you, Gary, who I have not seen in so long. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
    You're RIGHT Craig, Bams and quite a Few others have gone over to the "Dark Side" since 2010!

I even go there 6-10 times a Year, THE most disorganized Site on the Planet.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

For the record, my memory is still pretty good. I just continually evolve through forward thinking. Sorry you haven’t improved in 8 years.

Try it sometime, Craig. It’s like the sunset in Paris- unless you’ve been there, you won’t understand it.

The weather was pretty nice if you didn't have to worry about the rain yesterday (Friday). Today was perfect, I met lots of new and old friends. My only complaint is.....don't break in new shoes at the meet!!!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Yep; the link in Bob Barrick's Post #28 works fine.

(Nice sampling, Bob; thanks. Good to see you, even if too briefly.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Try it sometime, Craig. It’s like the sunset in Paris- unless you’ve been there, you won’t understand it.
    I was a member of Facebook when you were still deriding it and condemning users for being on it in 2010 as per that thread I linked in Post 16.

Just because you changed your mind and currently are a member of Facebook (or any other social network site) does NOT mean anyone else has to be one. Please respect their wishes, young fella.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 05-16-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Gary and John, two more of the really good people here. I tried to message each of you privately, but forgot how to work that archaic message system. I hope all is well with you, especially you, Gary, who I have not seen in so long. God bless.
    Hey Bob, lately, when someone asks how I'm doing, my rather corny response is, "Better than just about everybody I know." And, these days there's some truth to that. Since I didn't get to make the trip all the way to South Bend, yesterday, I accompanied fellow riders in my church's motorcycle ministry to a rally in Maggie Valley, N.C. There was about a dozen in our group. They stayed for the weekend, but in the afternoon, I returned alone by way of the Pisgah Forest and lots of mountain twisties. At the end of the day, only a little over 200 miles. While not a Studebaker meet...it was an enjoyable consolation trip.

I enjoyed our little meet and fellowship at the last York swap meet. It took several days for my eyes to get over the bright graphics on the CHEVY IMPALA jacket you were wearing.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Champion Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Yep; the link in Bob Barrick's Post #28 works fine.

(Nice sampling, Bob; thanks. Good to see you, even if too briefly.) BP
    How 'bout that...finally, in a "sea of Bobs"...one pointed out to me the Bob with a link I could view the pics without having to join anything...so...thanks Bob!!! And that goes to any Bob that wants to accept it.

GREAT PICS!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975