X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 30's Stude weatherproofing source

Hey guys,

A while back I posted a request for info on a source I could use to purchase windshield/vent rubber seals etc., as well as other consumables for a '37 coupe express. A SDC member suggested Restoration specialties...great catalog, everything you could imagine, everything except late 30's Studebakers. Does anyone know a source where I could purchase these items NOS, or a source of restorable '37 parts? Thanks, Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

Jimmy,

You're not gonna find a source of NOS weather"proofing" (I think weatherSTRIPPING would be a more precise term) for your 1937. NOS means original replacement parts and any weatherstripping that was THAT old wouldn't be worth having. Rubber doesn't do well at that age even under the best of conditions.
    Studebaker International shows SOME repro'd seals for your car, but the selection is very limited because there isn't that much demand for things for THAT old a Studebaker.
    I was probably the one to recommend Rest. Spec. because they have alot of W/S items that probably COULD suffice if you were willing to scour their online catalog and compare it to what you need. Sure, it's not made specificaly for a 1937 Studebaker but if it'll function and fit, that's about the best you can ask for.
    I've worked with some extremely rare and one-off cars in the past and the best we could hope for was to find weatherstripping that would fit and not be offensive-looking to the casual observer.
    BTW - have you checked the classified pages of a recent Antique Studebaker Review publication? There may well be someone who's gone to the GREAT trouble of re-popping some key W/S pieces for '37s.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jimmy,

You're not gonna find a source of NOS weather"proofing" (I think weatherSTRIPPING would be a more precise term) for your 1937. NOS means original replacement parts and any weatherstripping that was THAT old wouldn't be worth having. Rubber doesn't do well at that age even under the best of conditions.
      Studebaker International shows SOME repro'd seals for your car, but the selection is very limited because there isn't that much demand for things for THAT old a Studebaker.
      I was probably the one to recommend Rest. Spec. because they have alot of W/S items that probably COULD suffice if you were willing to scour their online catalog and compare it to what you need. Sure, it's not made specificaly for a 1937 Studebaker but if it'll function and fit, that's about the best you can ask for.
      I've worked with some extremely rare and one-off cars in the past and the best we could hope for was to find weatherstripping that would fit and not be offensive-looking to the casual observer.
      BTW - have you checked the classified pages of a recent Antique Studebaker Review publication? There may well be someone who's gone to the GREAT trouble of re-popping some key W/S pieces for '37s.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks mr. Biggs....Like I said, their catalog was very comprehensive, and there is a lot of stuff to work with, but when it comes to items like the weatherstrip around the vent windows....that's a tough nut to crack! Even considered the possibility of finding some super rtv compound that I could interface and custom form to the remaining rubber. Thanks for your help, Jimmy

Comment

Thanks mr. Biggs....Like I said, their catalog was very comprehensive, and there is a lot of stuff to work with, but when it comes to items like the weatherstrip around the vent windows....that's a tough nut to crack! Even considered the possibility of finding some super rtv compound that I could interface and custom form to the remaining rubber. Thanks for your help, Jimmy

Comment

Steele Rubber has most of the rubber items. The back glass rubber was the only piece I couldn't get 'specific'.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy Clarke

Hey guys,

A while back I posted a request for info on a source I could use to purchase windshield/vent rubber seals etc., as well as other consumables for a '37 coupe express. A SDC member suggested Restoration specialties...great catalog, everything you could imagine, everything except late 30's Studebakers. Does anyone know a source where I could purchase these items NOS, or a source of restorable '37 parts? Thanks, Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Steele Rubber has most of the rubber items. The back glass rubber was the only piece I couldn't get 'specific'.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy Clarke

Hey guys,

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
              X