No announcement yet.

DELCO Rotor Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those aren't used on the 170 Sixes, are they?

Comment

Long ago, I had a rotor fail in my Stude. The carbon resistor simply fell out. The engine would catch, but died as soon as the starter was released. Fair enough, I thought. I bypassed the ignition resistor on the firewall, and drove it 30 miles home, to troubleshoot further. The points weren't ruined. I just cleaned and reset them, and replaced the rotor. In an emergency, running the ignition on a full 12 volts, can get you home.
      Mie

Comment

Been told that the rotor used in a "53" Caddy does not have the resistor carbon in it. I have not checked it out. Did a search. DR309

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
          Been told that the rotor used in a "53" Caddy does not have the resistor carbon in it. I have not checked it out. Did a search. DR309
          Looking at my 2017 eBay purchases, I took the sage advice from several folks above, and bought D403, DR949, DR309, and RR157 rotors. That is why I was astonished to find another Studebaker NOS/OEM DELCO rotor under the cap recently. Over the decades, I have kept meticulous maintenance logs on all Studes, but must be slipping in recent years. Then too, the OEM rotor is easily modified to remove the carbon resistor and install a wire link, as I have now successfully done twice. I simply don't know what I was thinking when I installed another of the junk OEM rotors in that car, sometime during the last 23 months. Also disappointed that I did not make a log entry.

In any case, I drove the car another 100+ miles yesterday, and the car ran great. So the OEM rotor was definitely the problem.

Here are a few pix of a simple fix to the OEM rotor. Beneath the JB Weld is a link of 10 gauge wire, cut about 1/32" too long and stuffed into the recess where the carbon resistor was. Use a small screwdriver to crack the carbon resistor, then it will crumble and is easily removed: Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_094523.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1729227Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_094540.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1729228Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_094604.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1729229
          Last edited by JoeHall; 08-18-2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Gotta say, once I've putJB weld over the carbon rod I've never had any problem other
            than cracking a rotor and/or cap due to a bad motor mount or a rear end
            colision. That and that several years ago I began began buying only
            NOS rotors because I noticed that the new overseas ones were loose on the shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
              Gotta say, once I've putJB weld over the carbon rod I've never had any problem other
              than cracking a rotor and/or cap due to a bad motor mount or a rear end
              colision. That and that several years ago I began began buying only
              NOS rotors because I noticed that the new overseas ones were loose on the shafts.
              If you look closely at the pic, you will see the, "DELCO MADE IN USA REMY" trademark symbol. I dunno what JB Weld would do for continuity in the carbon. I used it to insure the wire link could never move. I trust it now, but am done with the carbon resistor.

Comment

Here's a C&P of a post I made on the old news group back in 2003. Sorry, no pix.
                JerryStudebaker
                Leo was feeling bad today. Drove him down to Aladamnbama (86 miles one way),
                got within 5 miles of Mom's house and he all but quit running. Found me a
                good safe place to pull over to check him out and did so. He would idle fine
                but when I reved him up he would pop and snort and make all sorts of sounds
                out the exaust and back up through the carb. I shut him off, set the parking
                brake, turned the ign. switch back on, got a screwdriver out of the toolbox
                and raised the hood. Pulled the coil wire out of the dist. cap and held it
                half inch from the back screw of the carb, and shorted out the solenoid, a
                good strong blue spark was there. As a matter fact, too much spark was
                there. It would jump over two inches. I poped the dist. cap off and half the
                rotor button was burned off.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Happened to me in the 64 gt back in 1990. A piece of aluminum roofing nail cut to length is still in there.
                  sigpic
                  '89 Ford Festiva
                  '90 Ford F250 4x4
                  '18 Kia Soul
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    Here's a C&P of a post I made on the old news group back in 2003. Sorry, no pix.
                    JerryStudebaker
                    Leo was feeling bad today. Drove him down to Aladamnbama (86 miles one way),
                    got within 5 miles of Mom's house and he all but quit running. Found me a
                    good safe place to pull over to check him out and did so. He would idle fine
                    but when I reved him up he would pop and snort and make all sorts of sounds
                    out the exaust and back up through the carb. I shut him off, set the parking
                    brake, turned the ign. switch back on, got a screwdriver out of the toolbox
                    and raised the hood. Pulled the coil wire out of the dist. cap and held it
                    half inch from the back screw of the carb, and shorted out the solenoid, a
                    good strong blue spark was there. As a matter fact, too much spark was
                    there. It would jump over two inches. I poped the dist. cap off and half the
                    rotor button was burned off.
                    Found a 20 penny nail in the tool box and taped it onto the rotor button.

Snipped the nail off to the length I thought it should be and re-installed
                    it and the cap.

The homemade rotor button is still in Leo and I have driven him another 120
                    miles so far and he hasn't missed a beat.
                    Anyone want to lay odds on how long he'll run like this? How about you JP?
                    You're a gambler. <G>

All that was way back in 2003. Nothing ever goes away if it's posted on the 'net. Except maybe pictures. Recovered from Google groups alt.autos,studebaker. it's all still there. The two Lee's (DeLaBarre and AAndrud, N8T, Oldcarfart, StudeBob, BondoBilly, Sonny, JP, Pat Drnec, and many, many others that's not posting on the forum for one reason or another.

When you have some free time, check it out. Take a walk down memory lane.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                      I've been using rotors that were specified for mid 50's GM cars such as Oldsmobile and Buick to replace the Studebaker rotors with the trouble prone carbon rod. The GM rotors do not use a carbon rod which is not necessary to reduce ignition noise in the radio as most plug wire sets now have a suppressor core. The part numbers I have been using are either Ampco DR949 or Standard DR309. As a plus, the GM rotor is about half the price of the stock rotor. Bud
                      Based on this reply, I ordered a DR309 rotor for the Delco 1110864 distributor I have in my ‘63 Avanti. Click image for larger version

Name:	7B4F529D-A9EB-49DC-93AE-C60FEC9DAAAC.jpg
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1729386The 1110864 was used in late 50’s to early 60’s Studebaker V-8’s before the “window” distributors and I kind of assumed those are the distributors being discussed here.

The rotor on on the top in the photo is the DR309 and the rotor on the bottom is what came out of the Delco 1110864. The DR 309 ain’t gonna work in my Delco 1110864.

So, what non-carbon-resistor rotor will work with a Delco 1110864?

Thanks. Tom

Comment

Also double check your motor mounts.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Rotor in the Top Photo in Post 25 must have been ordered for the wrong Car, or mis-boxed, it is for a Champion SIX!

Looking for a Non-Resistance Rotor for GM early Delco Dist's. I found this:
                          I wonder if this Wrong Looking design for a 1954 Oldsmobile 98 High Performance Rotor could actually replace the Larger Top, Original shape of these early Delco Rotors and FIT a Stude.
                          It is a NAPA/Echlin ECH RR 1820

Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Olds Rotor No Resister RR1820..jpg
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1729387 Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Olds Rotor No Resister RR1820a..jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1729388It looks Tall enough, but I don't think it is Wide enough for a 8 Cyl. Cap.

Nowadays, I am never sure if I can trust these Paper Book uploaded to a Web Page Parts applications, the Dist. Cap they show to go with this Rotor is a SIX Cylinder, I just can't imagine a '54 Olds 98 having a SIX!

Here is the correct (that NAPA shows) RR 159 Rotor for the Stude. Olds. Buick, Cadillac WITH the Carbon Rod now epoxy'd in:

Name:	RR 159 Stude. Rotor.jpg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1729389 I am beginning to think that NAPA no longer has the RIGHT Parts, they would have to be eBay Old Stock, (NORS): Sorenson, Standard Motor Parts, Western Auto Parts etc.
                          I think Pep Boys had "Wells".
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-30-2019, 04:51 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Standard Motor Parts DR309 is the replacement rotor for the original rotor used non window Delco distributors. The DR309 is the rotor used in early to mid 50's Chevrolet, Buick, Olds etc. distributors I've used the DR309 rotors and they do work in Studebaker distributors. Bud

Comment

The NAPA # is RR157 for a non resistor rotor to replace The RR159. I have installed many of the RR157 in both Studes and Packards. They work great.

Comment

Thank you Ross, THAT RR157 is what I was looking for to recommend to Tom!

The Weird thing is, it does not show correct for most '50's GM 8 Cyl. Cars when you do a search!
                                Their Site has SOME issues.

UPDATE:

Name:	RR 157 Stude. Pontiac Rotor.jpg
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1729399Really! Is THIS what the RR157 is supposed to look like Ross? This is the RR157 Pic from Today's NAPA Website!
                                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-31-2019, 01:16 PM.
                                StudeRich
                                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                                X