No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember E.L.Strope in El Monte, Ca. (15 mi east of L.A.) and Oscar G. Yeager in Covina, Ca. (about 25 mi east of L.A.)

Comment

• Dealers

Just to add to Jeff's comment, I bought a 54 Starlight coupe from Randolf Light for parts for my then 53 Starliner in the early 60's. I think I paid $$25.00 for it and even got a clear Minnesota title for it. My how times have changed.
      Last edited by old digger; 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM. Reason: add a coment to Jeff's post on page 2

Comment

• I remember E.L.Strope in El Monte, Ca. (15 mi east of L.A.) and Oscar G. Yeager in Covina, Ca. (about 25 mi east of L.A.)
        E.L. Strop is where my '61 Hawk came from. Original owner traded in a '57 Hawk there - doesn't say Golden/Silver - for $1050.15 against $3229.96 for the new '61, no downpayment, $79.90/month for 3 years. Which looks like a SCREAMIN' deal...until an inflation calculator tells you that would be a $632.62/month payment in 2015!

Comment

• While going through some Studebaker lit I came across one with 17 different dealers here in the San Francisco /Bay area some of them should already be in other posts but I don't plan on going back and checking every one out so will just add all of them now.
          Century Motors- Walnut Creek, Ca.
          Al Young's Vallejo, Ca.
          Rossi Garage inc. San Rafael, Ca.
          Ben A. Begier co. San Leandro, Ca.
          West bay motors San Carlos, Ca.
          Standard motor sales inc. Richmond, Ca.
          Oakley Motors Oakley, Ca.
          Milton motors Oakland, Ca.
          Jobrack motors Livermore, Ca.
          Band B motors Hayward, Ca.
          Pierotti motors Fremont, Ca.
          Wm. J Sweeney and sons Daly City, Ca.
          West Bay motors inc. Burlingame, Ca.
          Lou Fox inc. Berkeley, Ca.
          Howard Motor sales Albany, Ca.
          Webster motors Alameda, Ca.
          Phil Frates Inc. San Francisco, Ca.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

• Thank you...
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• (copy)
              735 Broad Ave, Wilmington, California. Top photo dated March 23, 1940 by the LAPL. But the cop car is a Ford.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• I have the 42" dealer sign that came from a Stude dealer on highway 259, in Leitchfield, KY. The dealer's grandson gave it to me about 25 years ago. He remembered his g-pa's dealership very well. I do not know the name of the dealership, however. The sigh has been prominently displayed on my garage wall since 1989

Comment

• Notice the small headlamps on two cars in the picture above #1087. The car on the left and the car on the far right have those small headlamps. Was that some Studebaker accessory, or just a coincidence that two cars have them at the same dealership?

Comment

• Rice Equipment Company, Lapeer, MI. Mr. Rice's daughter goes to my church and was so happy when I showed up one Sunday with my Champ!
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

• Mentzer Motors

My great aunt and uncle, Clyta and Don Mentzer, owned Mentzer Motors until they retired in 1965 and liquidated the business. I think they started with Graham and then went with Studebaker and Packard in the '40s. Studebaker had a distribution agreement with Mercedes-Benz and when Packard went away, they were offered a Mercedes franchise. That was in 1958 and they did very will with that brand and hung on with Studebaker until the end. Their building on Lake St. is still there and has been a restaurant and night club in recent years - currently vacant.

The dealership employed the Mentzers, a salesman, one experienced mechanic, and one mechanic's helper. Showroom held one car; two in a pinch. Their mechanic was a good one and they had one customer who had two 300SL coupes and always had them serviced there.

Jim Kroeger
                        Fairlawn, OH

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        Barberton, Ohio

Wow, that's not real far from where I live--very near Akron. I was aware of Mentzer Motors, which was a Packard dealer, then a Stude dealer, up 'til the end, but never heard of Derhammer's. I wonder if the building is still there.

Barberton is famous for their many fried chicken dinner restaurants, started by Eastern European immigrants back in the '30's. My favorite is Belgrade Gardens. Their chicken is still fried in lard and is absolutely the tastiest fried chicken I've ever had. It's often served with 'hot sauce', which is basically rice in a spicy red sauce.

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                        '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Comment

• disregard post......
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            Notice the small headlamps on two cars in the picture above #1087. The car on the left and the car on the far right have those small headlamps. Was that some Studebaker accessory, or just a coincidence that two cars have them at the same dealership?
                            To me it looks like only the car on the left has the lights.
                            They were an after market item.
                            A few car manufacturers used them from factory. 26 Paige, 27 Jordan Tomboy.
                            Edmund and Jones Corporation, Detroit, Mi.
                            Type 20, Torpedo Model,
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

• I was told there was a Studebaker factory store in Peoria, Ill. and the building still stands, believe that is where my wagonaire came from. Can anyone affirm this? Was there a factory store?

Comment

• Originally posted by super wagonaire View Post
                                I was told there was a Studebaker factory store in Peoria, Ill. and the building still stands, believe that is where my wagonaire came from. Can anyone affirm this? Was there a factory store?
                                Yes, it was on Main Street about 4-5 blocks from the Steak n Shake.
                                Richard Quinn
                                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                                X