Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Golden Hawk Member
    I haven't watched the entire video yet. At the beginning it appeared to have four field coils.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Blog Entries
    Gary, it's true that it does have four field coils, but that's not the unusual thing I had in mind.

But you are sorta on the right track.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Blog Entries

Breaking News - Engine Back in!

Got the engine back in the car..........video to follow in a few days. Got to get all the little pieces back on, and of course get the T10 back together.

Here is a sneak peak:

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Starter Tune-up Part 2.............1964 Daytona

Here is a link to the Starter Tune-up Part 2 video: https://youtu.be/9bB3CtskrzE

Final installment in a day or two. Trying to break the videos up into smaller 'chunks' that don't take so long to watch.

Tomorrow will be a break in the rain here in North Carolina -- sunny and mid-60s temperature -- so I'll get everything hooked up on the engine and hopefully get started back installing the dual exhaust.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Starter Tune-up Part 3 and DONE

Finally here is the last video on the Starter Tune-up. Too many videos on such a minor item, future videos will need to be cut down on detail or I need to talk faster or both.

Here is the link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/DTqLEtskY7k

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Speedster Member
    like your vids. esp starter and trans. I would like more detail on how to not less

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
    like your vids. esp starter and trans. I would like more detail on how to not less
    Thanks for the input David.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Prep the Engine for Reinstallation - Studebaker Rescue 1964 Daytona

Here is a fairly quick video on prepping the engine to go back into the car. Enjoy, and please comment and/or provide advice.

Link to video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/CeL4ap2rF_M

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Neat!

(My Mopar engine's got a separate shaft with the oildrive under the distrubuter shaft & with those out I've just made a long shaft that fits in the slot.)

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Speedster Member
    I have ground down the end of long piece of rebar or all tread to prime the oiling system. But you use what you got.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Neat!

(My Mopar engine's got a separate shaft with the oildrive under the distrubuter shaft & with those out I've just made a long shaft that fits in the slot.)
    I have ground down the end of long piece of rebar or all tread to prime the oiling system. But you use what you got.
    There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat.

I enjoy making special 'tools' for working on old cars. Just because Studebaker (or Kent-Moore) made a special tool one way doesn't mean there aren't five other ways to do it.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Yep! & I always find it interesting to see how others do it, I like your idea.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries
    Well, no videos lately since I have been having 'technical difficulties'. Anyone using an easy-to-learn video editor that can speed up sections of a video, and easily add music to sections? If so, please let me know what it is.

Finally got the exhaust system all mocked up, but before I install it with gaskets and clamps, we have to make sure the rear sway bar setup will fit and not interfere with the exhaust. On my '63 R1 Daytona hardtop, the rear tailpipes come very close to the pipes. I think I tweaked the exhaust system for the '64 enough to provide some extra clearance, but want to make sure. All the parts for the swaybar setup have already been cleaned up and painted, but I did not have the 'adapter' plates that are used on the Larks. Back in the '80s when we were collecting rear sway bar setups, most of them came from under '57 President Classics and Packards. These didn't use the adapter plates like the Larks, so I've had to whip up 'reproductions' of these. Not hard, if you have the right size flat bar.

Following are some pics of the swaybar setup:

Swaybar from a '57 President Classic before cleaning and painting:
    DSC04425 resized.jpg

Here are the links, metal sleeves for the link bushings, and the special washers blasted and ready for priming:
    DSC04427 resized.jpg

Original adapter plate sample, the pieces of flatbar that will be drilled/tapped, and the dimensional locations of the holes:
    DSC04724 resized.jpg

Drilling the holes in both plates to save time:
    DSC04727 resized.jpg

Tapping the holes:
    DSC04728 resized.jpg

Adapter plates finished, including chamfering the holes, ready for paint:
    DSC04729 resized.jpg

Adapter plates painted, and hanging up to dry (with the sway bar and links which were previously painted):
    DSC04730 resized.jpg

Small parts, bushings, bolts, etc ready to go:
    DSC04731 resized.jpg

Since the car is outside on jackstands, as soon as the rain and snow stops (maybe Monday) I'll get the swaybar installed. For those who wonder where the special spring U-bolt plates are that have the extra 'ear' for the swaybar links to attach to.........those are already on the car.

More to follow.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Putting the Engine Back In - Studebaker Rescue 1964 Daytona

Getting the engine back into the 'Studebaker Rescue' 1964 Daytona hardtop. This video was shot quite a while back, but technical issues with the video editing had to be resolved (in other words, find a video editor that some fat old guy could use that didn't take months to learn). This is my first video with music, and the first with fast forwarding in certain boring sections. Enjoy, and please comment.......and share with your friends.

In the meantime, we have been working on the exhaust and the 4-speed rebuild. Video to follow on the 4-speed.

Remember, this is my first experiment with music, and in some of the sections the music is too loud in comparison to the talking. Hopefully I'll improve in future videos, but if you have any advice please comment.

Here is the link to the video on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/wr_1OZrgmUc

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Nice one!
    I know the feeling of bad ground, I'm in a dirty-dusty-earth-floor barn, put'n plates under any & all stuff with small wheels... & you do NOT wanna drop a oily washer so ofcourse I do.
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-29-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Nice one!
    I know the feeling of bad ground, I'm in a dirty-dusty-earth-floor barn, put'n plates under any & all stuff with small wheels... & you do NOT wanna drop a oily washer so ofcourse I do.
    Nox, I do enjoy working outside on a car, but sometimes there are side effects for sure! Climbing under, out from under, and under a car again and doing that about 50 times a day does keep you young however. I've threatened to get a 4-post lift, but my garage is not quite tall enough. when I built it, I put it on three rows (high) of concrete block, but it needs another two or 3 rows to raise the building up. That wouldn't be too awful hard, but to jack the building up I would have to take everything off the shelves and everything out from the rafters - that would be the hard part.

Glad you are watching the videos - thanks!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries
    After a couple of weeks in Arizona, plus working quite a bit (more than I really want to ), we can get back to videos. There is enough film for several videos.

Here is the first one, the final disassembly steps on the T-10 tranny. Stay tuned for more.

Link: https://youtu.be/Z0EXtLNZ8Cs

Video 32 intro pic.jpg
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries
    Here is a video covering the repairs to the BW T-10 4 speed rear extension housing -- repairing the shifter bolt threads by installing inserts; removing the old rear bushing; and installing the new rear bushing and seal.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/OHbh_MwfvkE

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries
    Here is a quick video that shows the parts (both original cleaned & inspected, as well as the new/NOS parts) ready for reassembly.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/IIH-vXdEl8Q

As you can expect, there is a time gap between getting things done and then putting the videos together. We have had so much rain lately that painting the transmission has not been possible (since I need to paint outside to keep fumes from drifting upstairs into our living area). Hopefully either this afternoon or tomorrow (Memorial Day) I can get it painted.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Painted........Shiney!

The weather held off enough to get the T-10 primed and painted yesterday afternoon. Pics are below. Today's tasks will be to get the shifter arms & side cover installed, clean up the shifter, replace the shifter handle with the NOS one, and get it bolted (temporarily) to the transmission to adjust the shift rods.

Next video this evening, it's uploading to YouTube now -- Part I of the reassembly.

Enjoy the pics......

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

StoneDog
    I've been watching - and commenting occasionally - on YouTube. Man, you do good work! Thanks for all the pics and vids. Really amazing to see something like this come together over time. Wish I had the mechanical skill and knowledge you have. Keep up the good work!

I was baffeled by the light blue primer & thought it would've been real naughty-cool with that color on engine & gearbox...
    But that's me.
    (I'm also a bit into "gearboxing" now; I need to find out how the 4 wires should be connected from the overdrive, it's a MoPar A500.)
    & by the way, can't hold it secret anymore: Josephine passed the test & swallows the miles now!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries
    Thanks StoneDog! I haven't had as much time to work on it as had hoped. Best laid plans and all that. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is really watching these videos, so we do appreciate the comments! By the way StoneDog, I've noticed thru some of your posts that it seems you have been looking to buy a Studebaker (or another Studebaker). Have you gotten one yet?

Nox, the primer is actually light grey but looking at the picture again does seem to have a blue tint. Glad you have Josephine back on the road! Send Jeff Rice some more pics and info to post on the Studebaker Racing site -- we have noticed that we haven't seen any updates lately.
    Last edited by r1lark; 05-28-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

T-10 4-speed Reassembly Video Part 1

Here is the first (finally) reassembly video for the Studebaker Rescue '64 Daytona hardtop's T-10 4 speed. This one deals with reassembly of the mainshaft - installing the gears, synchros, bearing, bearing retainer, and speedo gear.

We welcome comments - please leave them on the YouTube page, or here.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/ph_--9SaU3w

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Okidoki Paul, many things happening now, I thought I did send Jeff mail...
    Thanx for reminding me!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries

New Video - Assembling the T-10 Main Case

The next step in the reassembly of the T-10 4 speed is to install the main cluster and input shaft into the main case. Follow along as we complete this important step in the reassembly.

As always, comments are welcomed and encouraged. If you know of better ways to perform these steps, or if you spot something that is not correct, please comment.

Here is the link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TavYFWAUYAw

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

StoneDog
    No, I haven't found one yet. I'm looking for an automatic so that narrows down the options available to me. I'd be looking for a "turn-key" car needing no major work on it, which narrows the options further. It's a matter of time, something will turn up eventually!

Blog Entries
    Transmission is finally back in the car. I did find out that I can no longer bench press a T-10 4-speed while laying under the car on my back, actually had to get my neighbor to help me lift it up and slide it onto the lineup (headless) bolts.

Here is a pic of the tranny on the bench, assembled with the shifter on to get the shift rods adjusted:

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

StoneDog
    Looking good, man!

That shifter stick looks a bit like the ones used original in 60-61 Valiants (-62 had column shift), I understand now that I never seen a original Studebaker floorshift before.
    & yes: it sure looks good!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Sometimes I wonder why I make the effort to make them pretty, since no one will see it unless they get under the car.

But, I do enjoy the effort. Despite the fact that I skinned/chipped up the pretty paint trying to get it in by myself. But being the anal person I am, it's touched up now.

Nox, that shifter is for use in a car with a bench seat, which is the way this Daytona was originally built. Right now it has split reclining bench seat in it, but it may end up with bucket seats in which case the shifter stick will be changed to a straight one.Thanks guys! Sometimes I wonder why I make the effort to make them pretty, since no one will see it unless they get under the car.

The transmission is all hooked up, shifter in, shift rods on, speedo cable hooked up, driveshaft in, and the Red Line fluid in it. And, got one side of the exhaust on the car before it started thundering and lightening.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Champion Member
    I just got done putting a '63 T-10 into my '60 Lark; I used a competition plus Hurst & have issues with the shift rods & speedo cable - now I see why! Those rods! Going to investigate an offset adapter or a right angle one hopefully...
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Transmission is finally back in the car. I did find out that I can no longer bench press a T-10 4-speed while laying under the car on my back, actually had to get my neighbor to help me lift it up and slide it onto the lineup (headless) bolts.

Here is a pic of the tranny on the bench, assembled with the shifter on to get the shift rods adjusted:

Yes, I know the shifter is for bench seat, that's why it's bended the way it is, I'm a bit of a "old-time-shift-nerd" & wanna have a Hurst in Josephine because of memories of them... (There was a G.T. Hawk at the (big Swedish Studebaker-) meeting just this weekend with a Hurst & I wanted to take a picture of it but forgot.)
    & as for painting where nobody can see it; I paint everything I've been at even under Josephine, & later on I hope to do the whole underside, but so far it's only the welded places & master brake cylinder & such that's red.
    Keep on, it's inspiring!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries

4-Minute Update Video!

A short 4 minute video before we get the Studebaker Rescue 1964 Daytona down off the jackstands. Follow along as we crawl under the car and look at what has been done underneath, and take a quick look under the hood.

The last installments of the 4-speed assembly will be out soon, so stay tuned.

Keep your fingers crossed that the car starts right up and runs well after all this work........and that the T-10 shifts smoothly with no noise!!

Here is the link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/ZSvugSFf-Rg
    Please share with your friends, and please comment!

Following is before and after pictures of under the hood:
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Speedster Member
    Above the rear axle diff. did I see a bracket for a rubber stop?

Blog Entries
    Above the rear axle diff. did I see a bracket for a rubber stop?
    I was wondering if anyone would notice that missing . Got to place an order with SI tomorrow, and that's one of the items.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Golden Hawk Member
    With such a good engine compartment restoration, how about getting a correct radiator cap for it? That is first thing that I noticed in the underhood picture and I would take an authenticity point off for that .
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Blog Entries
    Well, we will say it's a later model Avanti cap .

Seriously, as mentioned in the video, this is not a 'restoration'. The plans are to drive this car to Arizona from North Carolina on a "road trip adventure" so certain things are being upgraded. The radiator cap is one, the stainless worm drive hose clamps are another. And there will also be an aluminum radiator and a small unobtrusive front air dam, so don't look at any of those pictures once they get installed!

The car also has (horrors) radial tires and Ford Ranger wheels!!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Well, we will say it's a later model Avanti cap .

Seriously, as mentioned in the video, this is not a 'restoration'. The plans are to drive this car to Arizona from North Carolina on a "road trip adventure" so certain things are being upgraded. The radiator cap is one, the stainless worm drive hose clamps are another. And there will also be an aluminum radiator and a small unobtrusive front air dam, so don't look at any of those pictures once they get installed!

The car also has (horrors) radial tires and Ford Ranger wheels!!
    Yes, I understand all of that and appreciate your effort. However, the "later model Avanti cap" will not fly.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

I think it's really neat!
    "Not the best video" depends on what you're comparing with, I was able to see it all, even the swaybar.
    I bet it'll be nice to start driving soon, right?

(Josephine has being grumpy lately by overheating as soon as we're in city-trafic, this evening after work I removed the thermostat & wired up a manual switch for the electric fan...)

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan