Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Blog Entries

Rear Spring Shackle Bushing Replacement

Can't believe it's been over 2 months since the last update on the 1964 Daytona rescue. But, while I've been quite lax in updating, rest assured that work has steadily progressed. The car is drivable and insured/licensed now, hurray!

Still have several videos to post, so let's get this thread up-to-date. Following is a short video covering the replacement of the rear spring shackle bushing replacements. These are the bushings in the frame, that a lot of people fuss and cuss about. Follow along as we get some new fresh bushings in there.

If you want to view the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/TXa7EErovj8 Not sure why when a YouTube video is embedded on the forum, the viewer is blocked from viewing the video full screen?? Anyone know a way around this?

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #9.

Hope you enjoy it, and comments/questions are welcomed. And subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like these videos!
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Blog Entries

Rear Springs and Axle Installation Part 1................

Installing the rear springs and 3.31:1 Twin Traction axle.

Go here if you want to watch the video full screen: https://youtu.be/sL9P_4UDwI8

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #10.
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Rear Springs & Axle Installation - Part 2

Finishing up on the installation of the new HD rear springs, the 3.31:1 ratio Twin Traction Dana 44, and driveshaft. The driveshaft had to change since the Model 44 takes a shorter driveshaft. Looking at the lengths in the Parts Manual, a C-K with auto driveshaft is the right length, and I had one that used the Mechanics type u-joints. Would have preferred Spicer type u-joints, but the 4-speed slip yoke was a Mechanics type, so that's what I had to stay with.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here:. https://youtu.be/m9fFpG3Xh6k

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #11.

Hope you enjoy the video. Another new one soon!
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Wiring Harness Swap

The original wiring harness has some major issues that cannot be properly fixed while still in the car. So.......I've decided to swap in a good wiring harness from a '64 F-body (two door). This video shows the 'disassembled' state.

The next video in a week or so will show the current running/driving status of the car.

If you like to watch the videos full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/C6T3JOsFH04

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #12.

Hope you enjoy this one. As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed, and consider subscribing to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any future videos.
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

President Member
    Love this thread. I also own a '64 Daytona HT, presently in similar condition to what you began with, although mine is Strato-Blue with 259 and 3 speed o/d, original and unmodified, right down to the original 1963 maroon plug wires. Engine runs fine but the brakes are now down from long storage. Been gathering parts for years but of because ongoing business and travel obligations I have been reluctant to disassemble what I might not have time to reassemble. And so it sits.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jessie, glad you are enjoying this. Obviously I'm not a "videographer", just a redneck with a video camera.

New dual exhaust from Parks Pipes will be showing up soon. That single exhaust with the 40 year old Thrush muffler has to go. But it's running and driving! Video update with the current status and a walk around soon.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

New Dual Exhaust and Core Plug Replacement

Time to install the new dual exhaust with the 'turbo' mufflers. While the exhaust is out, we will pull the block core ("freeze") plugs and clean the water jackets out.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/TsSnxNOZq_k

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #13.
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Those Blue, button pleated, all vinyl, Split Bench, Reclining Seats are SUPER Rare items.
    Shown on Video #12 at 029 to 049 Seconds.

That PATTERN was not used in '64 Daytonas that I know of, it is a '64 Cruiser Pattern also used on the BUCKET Seats of '65 Daytona Sports Sedans, not split bench but I can't think of any other application except '64 Cruiser, that could have used it.
    We know they did not originally come with the Car shown, because it had a Red Interior.

https://youtu.be/C6T3JOsFH04?t=42
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-08-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Blog Entries
    You have sharp eyes today Rich! That seat is in much better shape than the original bench seat, and much more comfortable. Current plan is to have it reupholstered, along with the back seat, in an original-style '64 Daytona pattern in red vinyl.

I have a NOS '64 red cloth/vinyl bucket seat interior for it, but not sure I want to convert the car to bucket seats.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

So Paul, did you part out a '64 Cruiser?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    So Paul, did you part out a '64 Cruiser?
    No, I bought that seat at the York PA swap meet about 15 years ago.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    You have sharp eyes today Rich! That seat is in much better shape than the original bench seat, and much more comfortable. Current plan is to have it reupholstered, along with the back seat, in an original-style '64 Daytona pattern in red vinyl.

I have a NOS '64 red cloth/vinyl bucket seat interior for it, but not sure I want to convert the car to bucket seats.
    The seats look good. How about changing the door panels and dash to blue?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Blog Entries
    The split/reclining seat upholstery is just "ok", but I don't have a rear seat to match it.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Two Steps Backwards - Pulling the Engine Out

One step forward, then two large steps backwards.

While I was working on the new exhaust, I found that the threads on the exhaust manifold studs were in very poor shape - bad enough that on one stud, the nut would no longer tighten up. So, started soaking the studs with my favorite spray (Sili-Kroil), plus heated the heck out of the studs and manifold. Got the first one moving back and forth a little, so just kept working it back and forth and spraying it. But no luck, it snapped off. I hate drilling out broken exhaust studs laying under the car .

So, this video is showing pulling the engine out of the '64 Daytona to fix the broken exhaust manifold studs, replace the front and rear seals, clean the water jackets, replace the valve seals, and paint the engine. It would have had to come out soon or later........so it ended up being sooner. With no power anything, and a manual transmission, it's actually pretty easy to pull.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/PVS8ASlDYtc

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

I had to go to youtube to se it full screen, wanna see this good!
    & I'm happy to see someone else, like me, who's also working alone without a fancy workshop & such...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries
    Nox, I have a workshop per se, but it's filled up with other Studebaker projects! But, I do like working outside - I actually prefer it. But when it snows, or rains, or is only 20 degrees F out, that kinda slows down the work. Like Friday & Saturday, in this pic:

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Engine Work - Part 1

Really short video of engine on stand, and getting some parts off of it.

If you want to watch full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/uizHSah4C-c

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #15.
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Post Holiday Engine Progress - Video #16

Happy New Year! With the Christmas Holidays finishing up, we are moving forward again on the engine from the '64 Daytona. There will be several videos in quick succession as we get the engine ready to reinstall.

This video shows the prep of the aluminum filler block, the installation of the oil filter adapter, and one method for putting a curvature in the front & rear cork pieces for the oil pan.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/8ep_0awx2r0

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries
    OK, I have removed most of the embedded videos. Each one still has a link that takes you directly to the video on my YouTube channel. I got tired of the thread taking sooooooo long to load -- so figured if I was tired of it, everyone else probably has just given up looking at it.

Hope this makes it easier for everyone.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Happy Happy Happy New Years Day - Oil Pan is On!!

Happy New Year's Day!

And a happy New Year's afternoon for me, because the oil pan is finally on the engine (proof below at end of post ). I'm not afraid to say that this was the most FRUSTRATING oil pan installation on a Stude V8 ever - at least for me. I don't know why, but had more trouble with the rear cap cork seal than I ever have had. It's a fairly new Felpro oil pan gasket set, and the length of the cork seal was the same as a NOS gasket set I have. But the width of the seal was too wide to fit into the groove in the rear main bearing cap. The 'side' that went into the groove was driven by the slight angles on the two ends of the cork seal. Tried for 45 minutes to get it in, using a thin putty knife. Finally turned it 90 degrees, re-cut the angles in the two ends, and it went right in place. I was within a minute or two of giving up and starting over, if the truth be known.

Interestingly, the NOS cork piece I have is square, but this Felpro piece was at least 3/32" (maybe 1/8") wider in one direction.

But it's in, and the seals are properly compressed (can tell by the Permatex #2 squeezing out). Bolts are snug+, and will let it sit until after supper and then torque the bolts.

I have never done this with the engine in the car, and for sure will never ever attempt that.

Picture proof (and video in a few days - there is a backlog of those due to the holidays):
    DSC04630.jpg
    Last edited by r1lark; 01-01-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added info about video backlog
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Rear Main Seal Replacement

Trying to get caught up on videos. Here is a video of replacing the rear main seal. Included in a comparison of the current Felpro rear main seal versus one from about 10 years ago.

Here is the link https://youtu.be/IwOBQ6F4Yg4 to the video on my YouTube channel.

I'm trying not to embed too many of the videos since it causes the thread to load so slow..................
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

New Video - Parts and Pieces for Engine Assembly

Another video - this one shows a lot of the parts and pieces for engine assembly, as well as finishing up the rear seal installation.

Here is the direct link to the video on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/Zh349X-Drt4

00287 Edit_Capture.jpg
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow! A 64 Daytona is one Studebaker model you rarely see in a private collection, let alone as a project (with the intent of getting it out and about)! I commend you for putting this much effort into this Stude, r1lark. May happy times be had!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jake. I enjoy working on them, but even more enjoy driving them. Plan is to take a trip in this one later in the spring to Arizona -- roadtrip!

Thanks for following this thread.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Checking Crankshaft End Play, Camshaft End Play, and Camshaft Gear Lash

Next video - checking the crankshaft end play (axial thrust clearance), camshaft end play, and the camshaft gear lash. Follow along and see an example of how this is done using just a magnetic base and dial indicator.

Click on this link to go to the video: https://youtu.be/AMCdHvOsqTY

Thanks to all of those who have been following along.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Yep, following we are...
    Looks a bit like lining up a ships engine, only different size.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries

New Studebaker Rescue Video - Setting the Crankshaft End Play

Next "Studebaker Rescue - 1964 Daytona" video is out -- setting the crankshaft end play. Removing the cam & gear, removing the crankshaft gear, shim removal, and putting it all back together. Included is an important note about the camshaft thrust plate bolts/washers.

Use this link to access the video on my channel on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Fz8V3k650AI

And, if you subscribe to my YouTube channel, you will get notifications each time a new video is published. Unlike the "big" guys like Roadkill, I don't make any money off these videos for two reasons. First, I don't have enough subscribers (would need about 1000 times as many to even think about it ). Second, the advertisements are turned off so y'all aren't bothered by them.

Thanks for watching, and please comment if you see something that is not right, or if you have a better way, or if you don't like them........or even if you do like them.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Replacing the Valve Stem Seals on the '64 Daytona

Next video is up - replacing the valve stem (or guide) seals on the 'Studebaker Rescue' 1964 Daytona. Note that we did these without removing the rocker stands and rocker shafts. The video shows how.

Link to Video #21 on YouTube: https://youtu.be/24tLmAC9mw4

Enjoy, and please post comments and/or questions.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

The valve seals you were using, did they fit snug on the valve guide? Seems these would be nice for more positive seal if they dont just ride up and down with the valve and no special machining of the guide to get others to work..

2018-01-07_12-19-20.jpg2018-01-07_12-19-27.jpg2018-01-07_12-23-13.jpg

Blog Entries
    No, they are still umbrella seals that fit around the valve stem. Supposedly they are the next step up as far as material, from the black 'stock' umbrella seals. The best umbrella seal would probably be the blue-colored Viton seals that Phil Harris sells. I'm using those on my '62 GT engine, but it's a rebuild as opposed to this 'reseal'.

I know that valve seals can be a controversial subject - umbrella versus positive seal, no machining of the guide versus machining, etc. Kinda like what oil filter is better . I use the umbrella-type seals in a stock engine.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Studebaker Rescue - Oil Pan Installation

Oil pan installation, part one. Broke it up into two shorter videos.

I have never done this with the engine in the car, and honestly I don't think I'd attempt it except in an emergency.

Here is a link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/E-QkiHLFvAU
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Studebaker Rescue - Finishing Up Oil Pan Install, and Starting Front Cover Install

Finishing up the oil pan installation (whew, thank goodness ) and starting on the front cover.

Link to video on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/cZP2KqWpytw
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Paul, were you able to purchase those Special Silicone Valve Seals at your FLAPS?

Blog Entries
    Rich, I ordered them from rockauto.com

I didn't check to see if they were available locally.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Studebaker Rescue - Front Cover On & Painted!

Front cover is on, and the engine is painted!

Here is the link to the video of finishing up the front cover and getting ready for paint: https://youtu.be/wVcsHGeW4kc

And here are some pictures of painting it -- on the only semi-warm day in weeks!

Priming the engine and bellhousing:
    DSC04648.jpgDSC04651.jpg

Painting done:
    DSC04653.jpgDSC04652.jpgDSC04654.jpg
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Good color to hide oil-leaks...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Blog Entries

4 Speed Time!

Time to get the 4 speed apart and freshen it up. Two issues - the shift from first to second is pretty bad, especially when cold. Also, it really noisy in reverse. So, let's get it broken down -- here is a link to part 1 of the disassembly: https://youtu.be/G6FZYnpnc8c

And to all of those who subscribed to my YouTube channel and so have already gotten to view this video -- THANKS!!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

More T-10 4-speed Disassembly!

Part II of the Studebaker Rescue T-10 4-speed disassembly. In this video, we finish the initial disassembly: https://youtu.be/Tpou7PezTw8

Now it's time to get started on disassembly of the smaller assemblies, and cleaning & inspection of each part.

Enjoy, and please comment with advice and questions.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Sunny Day for Painting

Finally had an off-day and a good weather day coincide today!

The morning was taken up by a couple of doctors appointments (routine physical, and picked up a new CPAP machine). This afternoon, got the valves covers stripped, primed, and painted. Also got the bellhousing plate cleaned up and painted. Below is a picture, but it was starting to get dark so the color doesn't look quite right on the valve covers, but in the sunlight the color is right on the money and glossy.

Was hoping to get the engine back in the car tomorrow, but it's supposed to start raining -- and rain into at least the middle of next week -- ugh. Still have to adjust the valves, and get the distributor in and set, and hopefully get the starter cleaned up/painted and bolted on before I stick the engine back in.

Here's the pic of this afternoon's work:
    DSC04673.jpg
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries

Starter Tune-Up -- Studebaker Rescue Video #27

Got the 1964 Daytona starter 'tuned up', here is Part 1 of the video.

Can anyone point out what is unusual about this starter? Anyone who gets this right will receive a free subscription to my YouTube channel!

Be sure to comment and/or provide advice!

Link to the video on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/WQTv5b6ahJg

Last edited by r1lark; 02-24-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added emoticon
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC