This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think this is a meet I would kick myself for not attending

With strong registrations and with inside vending being sold out, I am glad I am going as this is one meet I think folks will talk about for a long time to come.

While I have totally enjoyed the week long meets for years, I am glad to see SDC trying new things in an attempt to drive up interest in our cars and in our meets. While some changes will most likely require additional fine tuning and some may not produce the desired results, I think in a few years we will look back and wonder what took us so long to make some of these changes.

While we probably will never have an exact number, it will be interesting to know how many additional members we pick up by having the car show on Saturday and how much this increased car show attendance by both members and non-members.

I would like to thank in advance both SDC and the Michiana Chapter for putting forth the extra effort it took to implement these changes.

PS If you are on the fence about attending, I would jump in your car and head to South Bend
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
    With strong registrations and with inside vending being sold out, I am glad I am going as this is one meet I think folks will talk about for a long time to come.

While I have totally enjoyed the week long meets for years, I am glad to see SDC trying new things in an attempt to drive up interest in our cars and in our meets. While some changes will most likely require additional fine tuning and some may not produce the desired results, I think in a few years we will look back and wonder what took us so long to make some of these changes.

While we probably will never have an exact number, it will be interesting to know how many additional members we pick up by having the car show on Saturday and how much this increased car show attendance by both members and non-members.

I would like to thank in advance both SDC and the Michiana Chapter for putting forth the extra effort it took to implement these changes.

PS If you are on the fence about attending, I would jump in your car and head to South Bend
    Thanks for the kind words. Greatly appreciated. It is a team effort by all. I am just hopeful that the 7 day weather forecast stays as nice as they say, and that we have enough portable johns. We have a couple of surprises that folks will definitely like.
    Last edited by Bob Henning; 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I think you are right Milt. I just cancelled my motel reservations and am already kicking myself. However, circumstances have dictated that this is the right (unselfish) thing for me to do for now. My wife has urged me to go ahead and attend, says she can handle things. But, this past week, she managed to find a fire ant (and a few of its buddies) to bite her within a few feet of the house. Because of the severity of her allergies, and the reaction to such encounters, I don't think traipsing out to the barn twice a day feeding the animals would be safe for her. Couple that to my responsibilities to my aging Mother in a nearby nursing facility, and all the other things I'm "behind" on, I've decided to stay nearby. I need parts for my engine project, but nothing I can't order as needed.

My main purpose in attend would be the handshakes, making new friends, renewing friendships, and overall fellowship. While I'll miss you guys, the bright side for the meet will be one less goofy character (with a drawl) pestering vendors ("jus' lookiin'), drooling on cars, and wandering around like a lost puppy.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Too bad John. I was hoping we might get to talk for a bit longer than the few minutes last May.
        BTW I understand about the fire ants. My wife is allergic too.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

What Milt said in the OP; 'couldn't agree more. It sounds like a great time!

John Clary: You'll be missed. Take care of those fire ants. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have never been to any of these events. I have FINALLY got my car drivable, except for the overdrive, and plan to be there. I am bringing a friend of mine with me who has my old 57 4dr Champion. (Project)

I have got a LOT of good information off of this forum and will be glad to meet some of the people that have advised me along this journey of getting a classic back on the road.

Comment

Since next year in Seattle is only 283 miles from home, I'd decided not to go to South Bend this year. I rationalized, the IM will be back there in five years. My wife said, "Better go this time. At our age, five years is a maybe yes, maybe gone."

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks to Michiana Chapter, and specifically Tom Curtis and Bob Henning for the hours, weeks and months of effort they have put into the 2017 International Meet in South Bend. This meet IS The Studebaker Drivers Club "Into the Future".

See you there.

Comment

We left Florida this morning. See you all there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170429_130145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1713419

Comment

Hi all. Leaving Monday. Looking forward to seeing everyone. This is my 50 year anniversary of joining SDC. Have enjoyed all of the people I have gotten toknow over the years. SEE YOU THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dick Clemens studedick

Comment

Dick,

Glad you're coming. Us 50-year members of the club are few, and it's nice to see familiar faces at the meet each year. I'm a member of SDC since 1967, and the International Meet is like an annual reunion of friends

Comment

Working...
                      X