engine woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine woes

just tore down the engine out of 63-3623 and found 1 broken piston skirt and a damaged pinch bolt, i guess someone didnt tighten it properly, so i am in need of a pinch bolt and i have to find out what pistons these are. also how hard is it to find a R3 style oil pan, this one has alot of pitting on the bottom, I was cleaning the rust off and found holes , Can i use a regular oil pan and drill out the area for the extra oil fill. if so , anyone have one, i looked on SI but didnt see any.
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

I've got a bucket full of pinch bolts and you can have one for the postage.

A photo of the piston would help identifying it. A standard R2 would be flat top. A standard 289" would be dished.

If we needed to repair a few pinholes in the bottom of an R3 pan, thorough caustic washing, neutralizing and then spray welding is one option.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I p'med you, The engine is a fresh rebuild with .030 flat top pistons.
      1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.

Comment

Sad news--did the piston damage the cylinder walls? The oil pan, if it is a R3, it is simply a standard pan, with an extra sump from another pan spliced and welded on, drilled for an extra filler. Probably could take a saw, cut off the bottom and weld on the bottom of a good pan, easier than spray welding or trying to patch the old one. R3 experts will chime in, don't think it would affect value either way as yours is a clone anyway.
        I'd be tempted to get a good pan, and put it on and forgo the extra filler.

Comment

Doesn't the R3 Oil pan also have the Crankcase Breather Tube welded on the right side, like the R1 and R2? Also the Windage Trays are inside. I would repair it by welding it up, these are way too rare to find or toss.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

it has the filler tube and has a windage tray inside . the piston didnt damage the wall , and the piston is actually ok has a part number h 2412
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Endl98; 09-21-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Let's see some pics. of the pan. I may have made it. I need a pic. of the tray to pan. Mine are tig. welded on either side of the tab, where the factory done ones are spot welded to the sides.

Comment

It is clearly a replacement Piston, most likely a Silv-O-Lite.
                Is it stamped .030, .040 etc. on top?
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yes .030 , and the skirt is broken off at the end, no cracks, im glad it didnt come apart and that i decided to pull the engine down to see what is inside. who sells the silvolite pistons on here?

Comment

more pics, the engine is what i was told it is, heads have R3 intake valve , it has a r2+ cam.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, that is not an R3 Pan, it has no Oil Filler Pipe just the Breather Tube Pipe, also no deep sump, just an R1/R2 Oil Pan.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
                        yes .030 , and the skirt is broken off at the end, no cracks, im glad it didnt come apart and that i decided to pull the engine down to see what is inside. who sells the silvolite pistons on here?
                        I and others at http://studebakervenders.com do, for the most part with a nickles and dimes apart prices.

EMAIL: http://studerich@yahoo.com
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

really, it has a long filler tube that goes up to the valve cover and a dipstick just above it. the other R2 engine ive seen do not have it. everything else on the engine is cloned pretty good. the tube has a welded on piece that goes to the valve cover. i actually think this extra filler is stupid, there is 4 oil caps on the engine as it is, why need a 5th?
                          Last edited by Endl98; 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

That is a stock factory R1-2 pan. But the rear tray that bolts to the #4 main cap is one I made.

Comment

ok. that settles that, are oil pans expensive to where I should repair this one or are the cheap like a chevy?

Comment

Working...
                              X