Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

53 hardtop frame replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: 53 hardtop frame replacement

I looked at a 53 commander hardtop with a rusty fame over the weekend. I am not interested in the project but the owner asked me if a sedan frame would fit. I told him I would ask the experts here.
    Thanks

I think you will find that the sedan has a different wheelbase among other issues.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

It won't fit the sedan frame, but any C-K frame up to 64 will work.

Comment

I believe the coupes were put on a Land Cruiser frame although they may have done something to stiffen the frame for the hard top application. At least they should have done something because it's been said the '53 frames were too flexible.

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
        I looked at a 53 commander hardtop with a rusty fame over the weekend. I am not interested in the project but the owner asked me if a sedan frame would fit. I told him I would ask the experts here.
        Thanks

Comment

The frames are essentially the same between the coupe and hardtop but I believe there is an extra body mount wing added to the frame on the hardtop. This wing is also the attachment point for the front seat using the body mounting bolt. As to the sedan, Alan and 52-fan called it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 1959-1964 Shop Manual shows the frame material thickness at 13 gage (0.0897") for 1959-1961 Hawks (1,884 59S-C6s were 14 gage, 0.0747") and all 1962-1964 GTs were 11 gage (0.1196"). I don't have 1953-1958 C&K frame material thickness information. If you were choosing a frame replacement for your C or K, wouldn't you want the heavier gage from the 1962-1964 GTs?
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Get a GT Hawk frame.
              It is a hardtop setup already, has the thicker frame material, and the added batwings will make the '53 that much better.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My 53K was 14 gauge. I am putting it on a 62 GT Hawk frame.

Comment

But, What to do about the frame serial number being different than the body serial number ?
                  Or were parts "MEMBER, gas tank cross" numbered 531951,534066,and 1544861 treated like replacement engine blocks ?
                  That the shop mechanic was to hand stamp the serial number.
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                    But, What to do about the frame serial number being different than the body serial number ?
                    Or were parts "MEMBER, gas tank cross" numbered 531951,534066,and 1544861 treated like replacement engine blocks ?
                    That the shop mechanic was to hand stamp the serial number.
                    Matching body and frame numbers may not be a concern in many states,
                    but here in California there are instances where the D M V requires a visual inspection of 2 "vin".
                    Either by a D M V employee or a C H P.
                    I would suppose insurance companies would gladly accept your money for insurance, but time comes when you make a claim,
                    questions could be raised if the numbers don't match.
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

The 62 GT Hawk frame that I bought from Bob Peterson doesn’t have a secret number stamped into the rear cross member. And most are so thinly stamped that a little grinding would clean them all off. Or you can take the old 53 rear member off and put it on the new frame, since the rear members are all the same gauge, no matter what year.

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                        Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 1959-1964 Shop Manual shows the frame material thickness at 13 gage (0.0897") for 1959-1961 Hawks (1,884 59S-C6s were 14 gage, 0.0747") and all 1962-1964 GTs were 11 gage (0.1196"). I don't have 1953-1958 C&K frame material thickness information. If you were choosing a frame replacement for your C or K, wouldn't you want the heavier gage from the 1962-1964 GTs?
                        Great information. Thanks~!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                          Actually, it WILL fit the '53-'58 sedan LWB (Classic) frame Alan!

Comment

Someone called me once for advice.
                            He had a 1963 Hawk that he wanted to transfer the tittle for in his name.
                            The inspection station could not locate the "secret serial number on the frame
                            and refused to transfer the tittle.
                            I suggested that he take a DYMO tape with the correct number and glue it to the rear cross member and spray some under coating on it and dust it good with fine
                            road dust and go to a different inspection station.
                            He called me a few days later and told me that it worked like a charm.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ame-difference
                              This thread attempted to find out the same information about the 120 1/2" frames.
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X