Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Voltage regulator

My '64 Champ pickup was fitted with an alternator at the point of assembly in Oct. 1963. The regulator has connection spades markes
    F, 1, 2, 3. Where does the "2" connect?

I see no reason why a Standard 35 Amp ALK5001 Prestolite would not have the "Car" Regulator that only has Ign./Alt./ Terms with a Ground wire under Mounting screw.

Did the "Special Ordered" Alternator System use a Avanti 3 Contact Regulator or other Heavy Duty type?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you still have the alternator Rich mentioned, your regulator should be a Prestolite VBT 6201 A (not VTB as written in the shop manual).

Add-on: After seeing Jim's post, I think he is right. The reference I gave is the good one for cars equipped with an amneter but it might not be the same when there is a charging light.

Here's the link to an Avanti wiring diagram that shows four wires: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...vanti-wire.jpg
      Last edited by christophe; 08-31-2016, 04:46 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

We have a 64 Champ that has the large regulator like the Avanti. Don't know where #2 connects. Maybe charging light, just guessing.

Comment

Like a bunch of us, I have several of these, some NOS/NORS and used if needed for spares.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 BUILD ORDER .jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1708785Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW VOLT REG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1708786Here's the build order, alternator covered under DEV. 5605. Voltage regulator Delco-Remy. Tabs from left to right F, 1, 2, 3

Comment

It says on the built sheet that a Delcotron alternator was installed at the factory. Deviation letter 5605 maybe available from the Studebaker Museum archives

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

But, I still need to know where #2 connects from the regulator. I'm no expert, so looking for guidance. Wouldn't that be a kind of universal connection, that is, #2 would always go to the same place (6cyl OHC 170 CID).
                Last edited by RSykes; 08-31-2016, 06:58 AM. Reason: More tech info

Comment

If you have a Delco alternator along with the four wire regulator; the #2 terminal goes to the R terminal on the alternator. It is used to make the circuit in the regulator work for the generator indicator light.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Delco 4 Wire Regulator for a Alternator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1708787
                  Ron

Comment

Thanks, I'll follow up on that.

Comment

Working...
                    X