gas gage on full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: gas gage on full

Ceci's 62 is running again after over 40 yrs of storage. All was well at first but the gas gage, after appearing to function normally, went to full and stays there even with the switch off. Has original sender which I cleaned with contact cleaner and checked resistances with an Ohm meter. Any ideas?

My Hawk did the same thing recently and I had to replace the gage. Apparently it was always hot and I hadn't noticed it before. I found a white grounded wire hooked on the gage which didn't belong to it. You should have only two wires there. The red one goes at the top and the black one at the bottom. You should check the resistance of the black one (which goes to the sender). If there is none, you have a ground somewhere. If the resistance is good, the gage is the culprit. My gage past the full mark and stayed there. If yours does the same thing, it is likely you have to find a replacement. Best of luck.
    sigpic

Comment

I was afraid of that! Thanks.

Comment

The gauge must have electrical contact with the gauge holder and then to ground. If this ground circuit is not complete the gauge will read full scale.
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Working...
        X