X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64V-K7
    replied
    Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
    I run a 700r4, Have a temp gauge on trans. You would not believe how temp goes up when convertor is unlocked in town , I would suggest you add a gauge for trans temp.
    I second that and put the sender in the pan..

Leave a comment:

• rodnutrandy
    replied
    I run a 700r4, Have a temp gauge on trans. You would not believe how temp goes up when convertor is unlocked in town , I would suggest you add a gauge for trans temp.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    One aspect of the TV cable is the line pressure used to hold the clutches engaged. If the pressure is not high enough even with the car idling the clutches will slip in gear which you do not want. It may be that many a transmission is ruined, not by acceleration (when the line pressure rises) but actually sitting at stop lights with too low of a line pressure!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Put the rear of the car up on jack stands. That way there is very little load on anything.

BUT, I'd still spend a few minutes and connect the TV cable. Even if it's not perfect, at least get it close. Don't shortcut all of your work just to shortchange yourself...to see if it works..! New clutches in the trans. requires basically a...rebuild.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Treblig
    replied
    I've always heard that you can ruin the trans if you run it without the TV cable because the TV cable controls the fluid pressure. I wouldn't do it!! There are numerous websites that will show you how to properly install and adjust the TV cable. It doesn't have to be perfectly adjusted to move the car....just get it as close as possible to where it should be. Once you get it on the road you make make further (fine) adjustments. I always put the rear axle on jack stands, fill the transmission with fluid, run it through the gears at different speeds and then recheck the fluid level. I do this three or four times until I know for sure that there are no leaks and that the transmission is full. All this should be done before you ever drive it on the road. I've seen a few guys that ruined their new transmission by not ensuring that the transmission is completely full before driving it on the road. An improperly adjusted or uninstalled TV cable can also ruin the transmission.

Good Luck,
    treblig

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: Burning Up My 200-4R

Burning Up My 200-4R

I'm ready to put my rebuilt 289 and 200-4R into my Sky Hawk. I plan to back the car down the driveway and drive back into the garage (slowly). If I don't have the TV cable installed and adjusted, will I do any harm to my Trans? I just want to check the engine/drivetrain to see how it moves. Thanks, guys...
Working...
X