Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: M-5 Tire Size

Hello,

I am looking for information concerning the original tire size used on M-5 trucks. I have heard that both 15" and 16" tires were used. I would prefer to go with a 16" wide whitewall, but a 15" tire would work too I imagine that these tires were also pretty narrow? Also, if anyone is currently using tires from one of the antique tire places (coker, american classic, etc.) could you leave me a note on what you used?

Thank you
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

BUMP*******
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

The M5 came with 4.5 x 16" passenger car wheels, which would have taken a 6.00 x 16 passenger car or light truck tire. I have Coker 6.00 x 16 tires on my 3R6, and have been very satisfied with them. They are now over 20 years old, and plan to replace them with similar.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Not a M5, but my '49 2R-5, using the same size wheel Skip mentions, came with 6.50x16 tires ,per the build sheet - the truck has the same side tires now.
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

The 2R5 trucks used a later (more modern) Stude passenger car wheel than did the M5. I don't have my passenger car books handy, so I can't go back and ID exactly which cars they fit. But a number of optional tire sizes were listed for the 2R5/6, including 6.50-16 and also 7.10-15. The M series parts book only lists the single 16" wheel part number for the M5. The 6.50 tires may fit the M5 wheels just fine, but they're not listed as optional in the M series truck data book.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
          X