ring gear and pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: ring gear and pinion

Anyone know where I could get a 3.54 gear set for the rear axle for a 50 land cruiser? I have this under a 50 champion and also have a rebuilt DG150 automatic I am thinking of installing but wit the 4.55 it would not be drivable. The parts catalog says part #527529. I'm about to install a Bill Cathcart engine sometime this fall so would be a good time to do it all. Is there another rear axle I can get that will not require a lot of modification? Thanks.
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

The 3.54 was used in Most V8, Automatic Drive Cars '51 to '54, (with Dana Model 44's which should be what your Commander/Land Cruiser Axle in your '50 Champ. 170 6 Cyl. Car should be).

The problem is, that is too big a change to keep the same Carrier so rather than going to a place like Randy's Ring and Pinion who stock the R&P's, you would be better off to get a Club Member's unneeded complete Axle from a '51 to '52 V8 Automatic with the narrower track.

With the small 6 even hopped up, I would not want an Automatic with a Lower Numerical Axle Ratio than 3.54 or you will be pedaling too hard to keep up!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

A '50 Commander/Land Cruiser rear end would be a Dana 41, not a 44.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
        A '50 Commander/Land Cruiser rear end would be a Dana 41, not a 44.
        Don't those "Old Cars" just have a 44 with narrower Housing Tubes?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

According to Randys R&P differential book Stude used the 41 series from 1938 until 1950 in all models except the Champion. Lou Cote

Comment

The champion has the axle from a 50 land cruiser in it now. It is a 4.55, the champion was 4.56, not enough change to worry about. I have a land cruiser parts car and installed the front and rear axles to get the larger brakes. This was done some time back and everything works fine. This gave me 11 inch brakes at the cost of new shoes and about $150.00 in other parts, I'm retired and my labor comes fairly cheap. I have had the Cathcart engine in my garage for several years. It is from a 51 champion which came with the automatic. Cathcart did the engine and a local shop did the transmission. I am going to swap the engine this fall and have been thinking about also installing the automatic. I have the original 3.54 axle that came with the automatic but it is the small tube and has 9 inch brakes. I have no problem replacing the complete axle if I can find one but it will have to be from a 50, a 51 and up has a wider spring and I'm not up to making new spring hangers.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
            X