No announcement yet.

No Tach after engine swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 63 R2 Hawk with standard tach, rectangular sender and Pertronix. Tach works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
      I have a 63 R2 Hawk with standard tach, rectangular sender and Pertronix. Tach works fine.
      Tell the poster how to hook it up right so it will work. His worked with the Delco before engine swap, Prestolite distributor and Pertronix conversion, if you can get it to work, so should he.

Comment

Fred, I think you sent me a diagram the same as which came with installation instructions when I bought sender from S.I.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160806_144710.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1708175

Here you go....

Comment

I know this has nothing to do with the tach but with the 1406 edelbrock what is the correct jet size or number for the R1. I bought a jet and metering rod kit and I want to set it up correctly.
            Last edited by 1964hawk; 08-07-2016, 04:29 AM.

Comment

I fitted an Mallory electronic ignition distributor to my R1 replica engine, and lost the (standard) tacho. Solution - remove pink wire, substitute normal wire, and use ballast resistor on coil. Tacho works fine now, with standard sender unit.

Comment

Used the diagram and instructions from the link to bobs site and tach works now. Thanks for all the info. I did make a test run in the hawk tonight but it stalled a lot and didn't seem to run as it should. It's ether timing or carb issue but
                it's late and tomorrow is another day. Was hoping to drive it my high school class reunion tomorrow night so I might get it sorted out before time to go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1964hawk View Post
                  I know this has nothing to do with the tach but with the 1406 edelbrock what is the correct jet size or number for the R1. I bought a jet and metering rod kit and I want to set it up correctly.
                  Since those things are a little big for the 289, it will take some fiddling. There is no "right" combo since your car, your altitude, your temperatures will all play into it. There are gurus on here that can give you a ball park, but as I remember ( getting old could be wrong) 096-095 primary with 070-047 ?? rod, weakest spring and 095 or 096 secondary. Then do plug check, spring change if transition bog. The original Carter jet sizes for the AFB are listed in the fuel section of the manual, but since the edelbrock sizes are different, if you use the original sizes, subtract the rod area and then use the Edelbrock fuel mixture graph, you can get real close. Royal pain not plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by 1964hawk View Post
                    Used the diagram and instructions from the link to bobs site and tach works now. Thanks for all the info. I did make a test run in the hawk tonight but it stalled a lot and didn't seem to run as it should. It's ether timing or carb issue but
                    it's late and tomorrow is another day. Was hoping to drive it my high school class reunion tomorrow night so I might get it sorted out before time to go.
                    Stalling could be so many things, from timing and point gap, to carb adjustments, to vacuum leaks, to fuel pump issues, that that may take a while to get right. Do it step by step and you'll cure it. Great to hear you got the Tach working.

Comment

Working...
                    X