• Show
Clear All

• doug
    replied
    You did good.

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    No crow to eat. She is up and running again. Not bad for a guy who has an aversion to turning wrenches and is mechanically challenged....rather proud of myself!
    Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    Ya, maybe. I bought a new one, will install in the morning when the garage cools off...may have to eat crow...we will see.

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Ya, maybe. I bought a new one, will install in the morning when the garage cools off...may have to eat crow...we will see.
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Good work, it would have been more Fun however to put the known GOOD Solenoid from the Champ on the Hawk !

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Good work, it would have been more Fun however to put the known GOOD Solenoid from the Champ on the Hawk !

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Yup, it must be the solenoid. I put the suspected bad one from the Hawk on the Champ and BINGO....it didn't work.
    Switched batteries from the Hawk to the Champ...battery on the Hawk appears not to be the problem...started the Champ on the first try...gonna switch solenoids next. (Hey this may end up being a really good excuse you can use on the wife when you want to get another Studebaker!)

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Switched batteries from the Hawk to the Champ...battery on the Hawk appears not to be the problem...started the Champ on the first try...gonna switch solenoids next. (Hey this may end up being a really good excuse you can use on the wife when you want to get another Studebaker!)
    Thanks guys. The solenoid doesn't click. Transmission has recently been rebuilt so I'm sure we would have noticed bad mounts...could be a bad neutral safety switch itself? Ignition switch is a possibility, I agree. My Champ uses the same solenoid I believe so I'm going to do a "switch-a -roo" to see what that tells me...any reason I shouldn't try that?...going to switch batteries as an additional test.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    Test and diagnose before replacing parts.
    The best advice ever!

Always troubleshoot to determine the real/actual problem before replacing parts and potentially causing a second problem which could mask the first problem.

A simple test light will tell you if you have ignition switch power to the solenoid and a simple jumper wire can tell you if the solenoid is good.

Take the jumper wire (20 gauge hook up wire with some alligator clips on the end) and jump the small terminal on the solenoid (the one that comes from the ignition switch) to either hot or ground, one at a time. It the starter turns over, then the problem is up stream in the ignition switch or the wiring, or neutral safety switch.

If the starter does not turn over, then the problem is downstream, either in the solenoid itself or the battery terminals, or the battery cables, or the battery.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-05-2016, 11:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Start by verifying that when you turn the ignition switch to 'start' a circuit is completed. Light bulb and a couple of wires will do this.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    ..any reason I shouldn't try that?...
    As long as you have the time and energy, try all the suggestions. Of course, if you organize the sequence from least effort to most...it could save time, effort, frustration and stress.

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Thanks guys. The solenoid doesn't click. Transmission has recently been rebuilt so I'm sure we would have noticed bad mounts...could be a bad neutral safety switch itself? Ignition switch is a possibility, I agree. My Champ uses the same solenoid I believe so I'm going to do a "switch-a -roo" to see what that tells me...any reason I shouldn't try that?...going to switch batteries as an additional test.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    What Rich and Dan said! Also, if the solenoid doesn't even click, and it should click loudly, the problem may be in the ignition switch itself. Or the neutral safety switch, if the car is an automatic. Soggy and sagged transmission mounts can cause the transmission to go into "park" before the column lever has fully hit the "park" detent, and before the neutral safety switch gets closed in the park position. I have a Wagonaire sitting in the yard with this exact issue.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Timberlake
    replied
    A voltage drop test across the battery terminal connection while trying to start can be VERY productive.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Do not forget to check the Battery Terminals!

It is VERY common to turn the Engine over and then quit when the Load on the loose Cables causes an Open Circuit at the Battery Post, sometimes from boiling Moisture between the Cable Clamp and the Post insulating the connection.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Test and diagnose before replacing parts.
    You can jump across the solenoid with a heavy wire or pliers, but wear gloves to prevent the possibility of burns.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    If you have a "remote" starter tool, it would be easy to bypass the ignition switch for testing the solenoid. Also, a multi-meter would allow you to test for voltage and continuity. Another possibility is that one of the brushes have hung up in the spring loaded retainer, and not contacting the armature. Perhaps a little bump from one of those plastic dead blow hammers would jar it forward. Just a few suggestions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X