No announcement yet.

Automatic Transmission??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Automatic Transmission??

Hey fellow SDC members!!

Does anyone know of an automatic transmission that will bolt up to my 1940 President inline 8?? Mine is currently equipped with the 3 speed manual w/ overdrive.

Thanks!

-Joe

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

Not without an adapter...

Comment

Where can one find said adapter and which trans would bolt up to it?

Comment

You'd be better off with the 3spd OD. Getting an adapter made is gonna be a major headache, plus adapting the tranny to your driveline and a whole host of other adaptations to make it work..

question for you: What's wrong with the current setup?

Comment

If the rear of the straight-eight block is the same as the rear of the Commander six block, and I do not know that, you could use an Automatic Drive from a '50 Commander, or perhaps a Flightomatic from a pickup truck equipped with the Commander six. Neither is going to be real easy to find. If left leg problems are what's prompting this desire to change, then perhaps an electric of vacuum assist could be devised to operate the clutch from a button installed on the shift lever, like the old VW Automatic Stickshift. My late uncle Leo had had his left knee fused for decades, and drove a '50 Chev Powerglide up to 1968, when he bought a brand new Beetle with Automatic Stickshift. He loved that car, and kept it for the rest of his life.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If you can get it done, it would truly be groundbreaking! I know why you might want to do it, but it wouldn't be something that I would want to do. You might try contacting Jerry Kurtz. If nothing else he might help to get your head right.

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having an automatic transmission to allow me to travel at higher speeds. It is fun to drive the 3 speed OD, But sometimes I wish I had an auto, that is why I am asking if it was possible. Curiousity.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
                Honestly, I wouldn't mind having an automatic transmission to allow me to travel at higher speeds. It is fun to drive the 3 speed OD, But sometimes I wish I had an auto, that is why I am asking if it was possible. Curiousity.
                You're asking two different questions. The early 3-speed automatics mentioned as possibilities here earlier would actually slow your car. The cruising speed of a 1940 President is limited as much by the high-RPM capabilities and the brakes. If you are actually using the overdrive correctly, it should go as fast as the rest of the car will safely handle.

Anyone know the rear axle ratio of the 1940 President?

jack viens
                PackardV8

Comment

To add to what Jack posted: the pre-1970 automatics being discussed here have a high gear ratio of 1:1, which is what your 3-spd with no OD already has. You would need to use a modern automatic with a final OD ratio to get any increase in top speed. There are no existing adapter kits to install such a trans in a Stude as old as yours. You would have to fabricate one.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    To add to what Jack posted: the pre-1970 automatics being discussed here have a high gear ratio of 1:1, which is what your 3-spd with no OD already has. You would need to use a modern automatic with a final OD ratio to get any increase in top speed. There are no existing adapter kits to install such a trans in a Stude as old as yours. You would have to fabricate one.

Thats exactly the answer I was searching for. Thankyou everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                    X