Back Up Lights 62 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Back Up Lights 62 GT

There is no power at the back up light sockets on my 62 GT. All other lights work perfectly. Where is the switch that activates the back up lights? Thanks!

On my 62 Lark it's on the top of the steering column, behind the instruments kind of. My transmission is a three on the tree.

Comment

Stick or automatic transmission?

Comment

On my 63 Hawk, it's a little black box with two wires affixed at the bottom of the steering column. You can easily make it slide with your feet when it is not properly tightened. If it is out of adjustement, the lights won't work.
        Best of luck.
        sigpic

Comment

First - Are you aware that on older cars the back up lights are only powered when the car's lights are on and the car is in reverse (not like on newer cars where the back up lights come on when the ignition is on and the car is in reverse)?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good point, Gary! One of our chapter members lost points during judging at a recent meet because nobody realized the fact that the backup lights were powered from the headlight switch (57 Golden Hawk) and the headlights were off!
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
              On my 63 Hawk, it's a little black box with two wires affixed at the bottom of the steering column. You can easily make it slide with your feet when it is not properly tightened. If it is out of adjustement, the lights won't work.
              Best of luck.
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              First - Are you aware that on older cars the back up lights are only powered when the car's lights are on and the car is in reverse (not like on newer cars where the back up lights come on when the ignition is on and the car is in reverse)?
              Originally posted by brngarage View Post
              Good point, Gary! One of our chapter members lost points during judging at a recent meet because nobody realized the fact that the backup lights were powered from the headlight switch (57 Golden Hawk) and the headlights were off!
              No I did not know that so I'll have to check that again... Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by hitbyastick View Post
              On my 62 Lark it's on the top of the steering column, behind the instruments kind of. My transmission is a three on the tree.
              OK Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by doug View Post
              Stick or automatic transmission?
              Originally posted by christophe View Post
              Best of luck.
              Sorry, should have specified AT. I 'll look for that switch.. thanks!

Comment

Look for alignment hole on switch.

The switch is held on to the steering column by two screws, fitted through bracket slots which allow the switch to be rotated on the column. Use a mirror or properly position yourself so that you can assure that the round plastic tip of the slider switch fits between the two metal pieces which are moved by the shift lever. You are not done yet. Before tightening the screws, you'll need to find the proper position, so that the car will start in park and neutral, and the backup lights come on only in reverse (with headlight switch on). There is an alignment hole through the plastic switch body and the slider, through which you can insert a small drill bit. When you have properly positioned the slider, the bit will slide through both. Then you can tightened the screws and remove the bit.

I hope this helps. Since this is my first post, here's hoping that I posted this correctly, so you will see it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by phwold View Post
                  The switch is held on to the steering column by two screws, fitted through bracket slots which allow the switch to be rotated on the column. Use a mirror or properly position yourself so that you can assure that the round plastic tip of the slider switch fits between the two metal pieces which are moved by the shift lever. You are not done yet. Before tightening the screws, you'll need to find the proper position, so that the car will start in park and neutral, and the backup lights come on only in reverse (with headlight switch on). There is an alignment hole through the plastic switch body and the slider, through which you can insert a small drill bit. When you have properly positioned the slider, the bit will slide through both. Then you can tightened the screws and remove the bit.

I hope this helps. Since this is my first post, here's hoping that I posted this correctly, so you will see it. Good luck.
                  You sure did post correctly and with loads of good information that will help immensely. Thank you very much. Armed with this knowledge I should be able to get those lights working!

Comment

Very good Information pkwold! And a very good first Post. Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum!

If you are not a Member of SDC yet you can do that at the top of these Pages for a first time discount.

All I can add is that the Parking or Head Lights on, before the B/U Lights work ended in I believe 1958.

All you need on a '63 is Ignition on and of course in "R" to light them.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X