2R11 Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 2R11 Brakes

Does anyone in the Studebaker Club do brake relines or might know someone that does? I guess 14" rears for my 1952 2R11 aren't available. Thanks

I guess 14" rears for my 1952 2R11 aren't available.
    From whom did that information come? Several other trucks of that era used the Timken axle. I'd be surprised if they aren't still available over the counter at NAPA. They certainly were a only few years back. Have you tried them?

It's true, truck brake reline shops aren't as common as they once were, but start your local search there.

FWIW, some years back I had an almost new used set. I'll dig around to see if they survived.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

14"brakes

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      From whom did that information come? Several other trucks of that era used the Timken axle. I'd be surprised if they aren't still available over the counter at NAPA. They certainly were a only few years back. Have you tried them?

It's true, truck brake reline shops aren't as common as they once were, but start your local search there.

FWIW, some years back I had an almost new used set. I'll dig around to see if they survived.

jack vines
      Thanks for the information Jack. I'll try NAPA tomorrow and also Google reline shops. Tom

Comment

Whatever you do, if you have them relined, make sure they're riveted as well as bonded. Bonding alone will sometimes come apart. Personal experience there.

Comment

Originally posted by TomDietrich View Post
          Does anyone in the Studebaker Club do brake relines or might know someone that does? I guess 14" rears for my 1952 2R11 aren't available. Thanks
          I checked with NAPA this morning and they have discontinued the shoes for this truck. We do relines, rivet and bonding. You could send them here, to Florida, but the shipping would probably raise the price above that of a local competent shops.
          Bo

Comment

I took my 2R10 front and rear brake shoes to NAPA and they had a source for putting new pads on my old shoes. Problem was they did not "true" them so I had some difficulty and chamfered the edges. Worked great. I am in Sarasota so I would assume your NAPA dealer would use the same source They look exactly like original material including the rivets.

Question for you -- what EXACTLY is the difference between 2R10 and 2R11? I think I have figured most of them out by studying Parts Catalog but would be interested in your take since you have one.

Comment

Not sure where in Illinois you're at, but I just had new shoes put on my 2R17A a few weeks ago for a price that didn't sear itself in my memory (maybe forgetfulness with age has a benefit?), but I had it done at a shop that does brakes and is decades old. Like Bo though, shipping here would negate the cost. I have to think in a large enough nearby town in central Illinois there will be a shop that could do this for you. Google is your friend, if you don't have a local club to take advantage of.
              The more I think about it, the price must have been reasonable since the price for a set of 6 tires for this puppy isn't escaping my memory anytime soon!

Comment

Almost a lost art.

Years ago there were at least four sources here locally in the OKC area for relining old shoes. There was even a guy with a mobile unit that went around to the different shops and would reline them on the spot.

Today there is one. Couple years ago I had the rear shoes on my 2R16 done when I rebuilt all the hydraulics (fronts were still usable). They did not use as thick of a lining as the original, so it was like they were already partially worn, and, like Leo, they didn't arc them, so it took a few miles to get them seated in well. Work well now.

When you start looking, look for places that do brakes and clutches. One of the places here used to be named Oklahoma Clutch Supply, but they still did brake shoes.

Here is one in Lake Forest IL: http://kor-pak.com/equipment-repair-...epair-relines/

Comment

Even tho a Studebaker was my first car almost 60 years ago,I'm just starting on my second one at 75, so I can't say what the difference is between the two. Thanks for the NAPA info. I'll try them.

Comment

Thanks Bo--Looks like I can use my original shoes which were barely worn.

Comment

Working...
                    X