Torque Box Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Torque Box Replacement

Not only am I new to the club, I'm also new to my Avanti II. Initially, I thought of my car as being somewhat old, but reading some of the forums, I thinking somewhat new .

I'm having the torque boxes replaced. I'm aware of two methods - 1.) lift body and install, or 2.) cut fiberglass panels and install. There are advantages (?) to either method. I would appreciate views from those who have done either method.

The interior has been removed so that is one step out of the way. The motor has also been pulled.

I've read articles about lifting frame - some 7 bolts/side. Labor consuming...

Some discussion of cutting fiberglass panels - still labor consuming along with bodywork and re-paint...

Thanks in advance.

Jim C.

I think there is a Dick Steinkamp pictorial of how to do this. Someone else will know how to find it.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by sodman View Post
      Not only am I new to the club, I'm also new to my Avanti II. Initially, I thought of my car as being somewhat old, but reading some of the forums, I thinking somewhat new .

I'm having the torque boxes replaced. I'm aware of two methods - 1.) lift body and install, or 2.) cut fiberglass panels and install. There are advantages (?) to either method. I would appreciate views from those who have done either method.

The interior has been removed so that is one step out of the way. The motor has also been pulled.

I've read articles about lifting frame - some 7 bolts/side. Labor consuming...

Some discussion of cutting fiberglass panels - still labor consuming along with bodywork and re-paint...

Thanks in advance.

Jim C.
      Depends on which new boxes you are putting on, how original you want to keep the car. To put on a compete assembly you will have to cut open some fiberglass and remove the rockers, If only the lower exposed portion is shot you can put the bottoms on and save work-at the expense of originality. Don't envy you, as either is a big job, welcome to the forum. There are old posts on various methods and this site will help you also-packed with info on Avanti and Avanti II. http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechoct2014p1.html Just a note-most posts will call them "hog troughs" and not torque boxes, might be easier to research.

Comment

As KF88 said you will need to remove the portion of the rockers bonded to the troughs. If you pull the body, it will be a small area at the bottom of the rockers which may be able to be cut apart without further body damage. Dick's repair uses a three piece trough that minimizes body damage if you use them. I chose to use the one piece troughs and this will show what needs to be cut to use them without lifting the body. Bob

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...er-Hog-Troughs

Comment

Thanks. I'll go looking for the pictorial.

Jim Cummings

Comment

Thanks for the response. I'm putting in both sides - one piece units. Well, I'm not, I'm having it done at a restoration shop.

Are the three pictures with your post cars you own? What year is the middle - i.e. blue one? It is pretty much a match of mine.

Jim Cummings

Comment

Please excuse. I'm new to forum and have gotten twisted around.

Jim Cummings

Comment

Thanks for the response. I'm putting in both sides - one piece units. Well, I'm not, I'm having it done at a restoration shop.

Are the three pictures with your post cars you own? What year is the middle - i.e. blue one? It is pretty much a match of mine.

Jim Cummings
                Welcome to the SDC Forum!

If you are having this work professionally done ("restoration shop"), you might want to look at how much money you will have in the car (unless there is some sentimental attachment). I believe that you will very quickly get up side down (more in the car than it will be worth) in ANY Avanti II.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Upside Down

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Welcome to the SDC Forum!

If you are having this work professionally done ("restoration shop"), you might want to look at how much money you will have in the car (unless there is some sentimental attachment). I believe that you will very quickly get up side down (more in the car than it will be worth) in ANY Avanti II.
                  You're right about the upside down. There is sentimental attachment. The car was my buddies whose health isn't so good. He gave me the car and I decided to do it right. Yea, by the time it's finished I'll have more money in it than it's worth.

Jim

Comment

Jim Cummings
                    Jim

If you are asking about my 83 in my signature, it's silver.

originally posted by Sodman
                    You're right about the upside down. There is sentimental attachment. The car was my buddies whose health isn't so good. He gave me the car and I decided to do it right. Yea, by the time it's finished I'll have more money in it than it's worth.

Jim
                    Jim
                    Sometimes there are reasons to go a bit overboard and you seem to a good one. Welcome to the forum and keep posting and asking, we'll help as best we can.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X