Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Quentin;1003722]
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Just to clarify which passage and plug you are referring to...I braved the heat and went out to the barn to look at the back of an engine I have on a test stand. There are several "oil galley" plugs. This engine, which is a 289 truck engine, has a water jacket block-off plate, which also incorporates the accelerator bell crank on one side. On the other, there are two pipe plugs that tap into the oil galley. Then, just below the distributor, there is another plug next to the bellhousing flange. Which of these are you describing? QUOTE

None of the above, by the looks. Start from the camshaft rear plug in the block, not the head.. There is a round cast oil tube, that runs to the right side of the engine, (right facing forwards). It then turns 90 degrees south. At the turn, there is a threaded bung. it continues on down to end up eventually at the OIL FILTER. Conversely, start from the oil filter, full flow block, and stick your hand around the bak of the engine. A roundish tube will be felt, travelling UP 4 or 5 inches before turning into the centre of the engine at the rear. Get on the passenger side of your LHC vehicle, and shine a torch between the 2,4,6,8 head and the firewall. You will see it at about 2 oclock.
    As far as sulphuric acid goes, I have purchased the 8% sulphuric acid gel, which slowly dissolves the sealant. 8% solution is pretty mild. (Just ask Sherlock Holmes.) I also found a very skinny wire brush that will fit between engine and firwall to clean this crud off, and be back at square one.
    I doubt the block is cracked - it is not p(ers)iss(t)ing out, more of a slow ooze that can clearly be seen emanating from the threads of the bung, so no catastrophe. If I run the engine for 40 minutes as I did the other day, there is a puddle the size of a small saucer. Fairly mediocre, but enough to not pass rego.
    My apologies Quentin.... embarrassing oversights on my part. Although I have been at this a long time, and have several V8's, none of them are "Full flow." So, I have zero experience with the full flow engines. Assuming that they all "look alike," externally, is one error. That assumption, led me to hardly pay attention to your original post where you plainly stated "full flow."

This reveals that I need to work on my "reading comprehension." Also, if someone would post some similar pics of a "full-flow" block, for comparison, showing the differences, we could all benefit from a better understanding.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Found the area you are talking about. once surgically clean a product called Belzona Molecular might very well seal it. it has worked before. luck, Doofus

Comment

Quote (Quentin) - None of the above, by the looks. Start from the camshaft rear plug in the block, not the head.. There is a round cast oil tube, that runs to the right side of the engine, (right facing forwards). It then turns 90 degrees south. At the turn, there is a threaded bung. it continues on down to end up eventually at the OIL FILTER. . Get on the passenger side of your LHC vehicle, and shine a torch between the 2,4,6,8 head and the firewall. You will see it at about 2 oclock.
        .[/QUOTE]

Correction - the oil gallery runs from the rear camshaft bearing and out to the edge of the block. It does not connect with the oil filter.On inspection of my spare block, and poking wires through various oil highways and byways, it appears not to go anywhere else, but just to hold a reservoir of oil under pressure to constantly serve the rear cam bearing?? Any enlightenment welcome. Quentin

Comment

Actually I see no need to know where it goes or what it does, we all know it IS under Full Oil Pressure and must be completely Sealed and these tiny 1/8" Pipe Plug thread plugs can be a Bear to remove.

If there is no way to get to it with the engine in the Car then the only option is Pull the engine.
          I have found working on both, that all C&K models have plenty of Firewall clearance and are not "Tight" like a Lark.

So I don't know if you have an Engine placement issue or if these plugs were just not reachable, since most of us only deal with them out of the Car.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Actually I see no need to know where it goes or what it does. Quote.
            We are an inquisitive lot down here.........I feel the need to know....poking wires through oil galleries in my spare block has piqued my interest. I have not beeeen to the mountaintop!
            Quote -So I don't know if you have an Engine placement issue or if these plugs were just not reachable, since most of us only deal with them out of the Car.
            Not an engine placement issue - only a RHC issue, with a steering column in the way. However, when my square 9/32 socket arrives, removal should be no drama.

Comment

Hopefully, once the plug is removed, inspected, and replaced, your problem will be over. I also hope you are not dealing with a cracked block. That happened to me once, in a 63 Stude V8. It was cracked while removing a pipe plug in the coolant passage, in the driver's side the motor, while the block was out for boring and hot tanking. I did not discover the problem till the motor was reassembled, and back in the car for initial run-in. After about 30 minutes' running, the problem was obvious. I just pulled it back out and replaced the block. That was over 25 years ago. Wish I had that kinda energy today.

Comment

Working...
              X