Tach Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Drive

I've got a couple questions on the mechanical tach drive from the 56-61 ERA.
    Is there an expert in SDC or someone who rebuilds them?
    There is unit for sale on EBay that the seller says is a Chris Craft/Studebaker unit for a Mallory distributor, it looks similar to the ones I've seen for Studebakers but I can't tell for sure. Did Studebaker make engines for Chris Craft boats?
    Thanks,
    Dave Swaim
    Rockford, Il

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but check my web site for some basic info. on these units (and a link to Ray F's page on them as well.)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Sorry, the post didn't go through. Let's try again.
      I'm no expert, but he's what I know about the tach drives. The pulsemotor drives fit specific distributor caps. They say they can fit 4, 6, and 8 cyl engines, that may be true but I know it must fit a specific cap. These were made for cars, trucks, boats, and even tractors.

There are two drives for sale by the same seller. the first is a 5000 rpm tach with a 762 P sending unit. That sending unit will work on 6 cyl engine Delco "High Tower" distributors using Delco cap #1924248. He also has an 8000 rpm tach that has a 762 S sending unit that he says fits a Studebaker with a mallory distributor. The correct unit for V-8 Studes with Delco distributors is 762 M. I'm looking for one of those, since I have all the other parts. Anyone have one sitting in a box someplace?

The sending units can be used as either 6 or 12V, but the tachs are stamped on the back as to the voltage required.

Brent Hagen of Oregon says he can fix most units. See the Co-Operator in the December Turning Wheels for his address. He doesn't usually keep extra units on hand.

I have a 762 DD sending unit for 6 cyl engines using the Delco #824735 distributor - it fits everything from JD tractors, to GMC trucks, to Packards, and even 1950 Studebakers. (why only 1950 I don't know) By the way, the cost of a new cap from a tractor supply company is $10, while the cost from one Packard parts supplier is $45 - same cap.

There are engine mounted sending units that were used on Chysler and Ford engines that will work in place of the distributor units. These come up on ebay regularly. I guess they mount to a fitting installed in the engine at the factory. Anyone know if there is an adapter that can be used with a Studebaker engine?

I hope that helps.

G. Howes

Comment

I have a 762 J sending unit that is NOS. Still in factory box with instruction sheet.
        Allen

Comment

There were Co's that built water cooling/exhaust flow conversions for Stude. 6's and also V-8's back in the 50's so they can be found in any kind of old boat, just pretty rare now.

I would be cautious of a drive for a Mallory, because unless you have a good working Mallory Dist. they are so special that the cap and drive is not likely to be the same as a Delco, so will not fit..

quote:Originally posted by swaim43

I've got a couple questions on the mechanical tach drive from the 56-61 ERA.
          There is unit for sale on EBay that the seller says is a Chris Craft/Studebaker unit for a Mallory distributor, it looks similar to the ones I've seen for Studebakers but I can't tell for sure. Did Studebaker make engines for Chris Craft boats?
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Additional question to anyone. Can a tach be refurbished with modern day electronics, so it can just work off a coil wire with a sensor or adapter? If so, who does the upgrade?

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for but the folks on the 56 Golden Hawk site sure seem to know how to retro fit these tachs. Go to their site and search under Tachometer.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/56Jonlygroup/

Hope it helps

It is an addiction!
              It is an addiction!

Comment

This outfit, http://dandmrestoration.home.mindspring.com/tacho.htm will rebuild any tach to convert it to modern guts with the original outside appearance. I sent them a picture of a 55 speedster tach and they said it would cost between $350 and $400 for the conversion.

G. Howes

Comment

Working...
                X