Soft Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Soft Brakes

Recently I discover that the master cyl. in my 62 Champ had a very slow leak and was about empty...add more brake fluid but they seem a little "mushy"....could it be that there is air in the lines and I need to bleed them?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Lou Van Ann
    First things first. Fix the leak. Until you fix the leak you could very well be sucking in air as well as loosing fluid. Once the leak is fixed then bleed the brakes.
    Ron

Comment

Until it's properly repaired, I wouldn't drive the car at all. Pushing the brake pedal with no result is not a good feeling.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Agree with above. If the MC was almost empty, then where did the fluid go? Most likely, through a leaky wheel cylinder and maybe onto the brake shoes. You need to fix/replace what's leaking. And to answer your question, yes, you now have air in your lines.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

LVA look at where m/c push rod comes through fire wall. bet the b/f leaked under carpet! luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            LVA look at where m/c push rod comes through fire wall. bet the b/f leaked under carpet! luck Doofus
            A '62 Champ pickup would have an under floor master cylinder.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ordered a master cyl. rebuild kit and made an appointment next week to have it done. Records show I last rebuilt the wheel cyls. back in '91...guess I'll have those checked also. This old girl has been with me since the early '80s...got keep her running good!

- - - Updated - - -

...and yes it does.
              Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              A '62 Champ pickup would have an under floor master cylinder.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Well, you ordered a rebuild kit, but I should point out that the correct master cylinder assembly is commonly available for $55.00 or so - saving you the assembly labor and the possibility that the cylinder bore is not usable. Note - I say this assuming your '62 Champ is a 1/2 ton. A 3/4 ton would use a larger bore cylinder that is much more expensive.

Comment

I especially wouldn't drive a vehicle with a single circuit brake system if it had a leak. There is no redundancy with that type of brake system, so if the leak suddenly "let's go", you will have no hydraulic brakes at all (hopefully your parking brake works in that scenario).

One other thing to look at on your Champ with a soft pedal are the cam adjusters on the drum brakes. That vehicle is not equipped with automatic adjusters in the drum brakes to compensate for lining wear. They are pretty easy to adjust, but you need to be able to rotate the road wheel by hand to set the lining to drum clearance properly.

Scott Griggs
                  Louisville, KY

Comment

Working...
                  X