Well Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Well Nuts

I ordered a set of reproduction Strato style exterior rear view mirrors for my 63 Avanti. The original driver's side mirror is worn and loose and needs replacing. I also ordered the passenger side mirror to add on. No problems installing the driver side as it already had well nut fasteners in the door. To install the passenger side I will need to drill holes for the well nuts that were provided with the mirrors.

I have done all kinds of work on cars over the years, but never used well nuts. I believe all I need to do is to drill two 7/16" holes for the nuts, push them in, and then fasten down the mirror with the machine screws provided. My assumption is that when the screws are tightened the rubber housing distorts and this is what secures the mirror to the door. I think they function somewhat like a moly bolt does in dry wall.

IS THIS ALL THERE IS TO IT?

I do not want to drill any holes in the door until I am absolutely certain this is how they work. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

(o[]o)

If your using the rubber well nuts with the brass insert for the treads yes thats all you have to do. When you tighten the screw it will pull the rubber up tight. They also make them where you need a special tool to pull them up tight to the door. They are made out of aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
      They also make them where you need a special tool to pull them up tight to the door. They are made out of aluminum.
      These are called "nutserts" ,and are used extensively for rear view mirrors on older pickup trucks.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks swviacon ant to rockne10 for his explanation of the aluminum nutserts. Yes, the rubber well nuts with the brass inserts are what was furnished. Most helpful site.

(o[]o)

Comment

If not included, go to your local hardware store and get stainless steel screws. Don't make the holes in the door too big, you want them a little snug.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

52 Ragtop, stainless machine screws were included. I was thinking about going to a 1/32nd smaller or less than the 7/16" size of the well nut. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Comment

Not a huge fan of well nuts.

Last car I added a RH mirror, I drilled the holes in the door, then made a backer plate out of 1/8 inch steel; drilled and tapped the steel for the machine screws and epoxied the backer plate in place.

Maybe overkill. The well nuts will probably last as long as you own the car.

Comment

Thanks to all. I installed the LH mirror this morning. Hole size was 3/8". The well nuts worked, and the mirror is secure. Door is about 1/4" thick. The backer plate is a good idea, but don't think I will need it.

(o[]o)

Comment

I've seen backer plates done both ways. Some are done as you did yours with nuts and also seen where the outer bolt hole is just slightly larger than the hole on the backer plate. Then the nut cert goes in and draws up on both the outer panel and the backer plate so when the screw is tightened up on the mirror it is all held together to add more support.

Comment

I will give away another restoration secret..... use stainless washers under the mirror so that the surface of the last washer is flush with the bottom casting. This way when you tighten the screws, the well nut is not pulled up into the mirror before it tightens.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I was also wondering about the best way to add a RH mirror to our Avanti....now I know.

Now if I can just muster the courage to spend the money on new mirrors......
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                      X