Tag on housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Tag on housing

I recently sourced a rear end from a 1962 Grand Turismo Hawk with a 289 and four speed. Under one of the bolt heads is a metal tag that only has the letter T stamped into it. Does this tag have any significance? I have not determined the ratio yet and am not familiar with the late model axle types as my cars are 1954 K bodies. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stude Rookie.

The only difference of any importance that it COULD mean would be a Limited Slip, Twin Traction Diff. sometimes I.D.'d by a 45 and an Alpha.

I have seen these single Letter Code Tags before, I have one with just an "H".

What you will want to do is, remove the Fill Plug insert a gloved finger in there and feel or look for The Twin Traction Carrier being VERY close to the cover, on a Standard Diff. the Ring Gear will be an inch or two away, not very close.

Also you could turn the Driveshaft Yoke to see if both drums turn the SAME direction indicating a TT.

The Ratio Tag should be at about 8:00 (Lower Left) of the Cover under another Screw.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-11-2016, 03:44 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The only difference of any importance that it COULD mean would be a Limited Slip, Twin Traction Diff. sometimes I.D.'d by a 45 and an Alpha.

I have seen these single Letter Code Tags before, I have one with just an "H".

What you will want to do is, remove the Fill Plug insert a gloved finger in there and feel or look for The Twin Traction Carrier being VERY close to the cover, on a Standard Diff. the Ring Gear will be an inch or two away, not very close.

Also you could turn the Driveshaft Yoke to see if both drums turn the SAME direction indicating a TT.

The Ratio Tag should be at about 8:00 (Lower Left) of the Cover under another Screw.
      Thanks for the information Stude Rich. A little cleaning might reveal the clues that you have given me.
      Stude Rookie

Comment

What kind of axles would this rear end contain? Flanged or tapered?
        Stude Rookie

Comment

You would have to look at the end of an axle to see if there is a tapered axle end, with a Nut on on it indicating a Tapered Axle which was used on All Studebakers from the beginning to Mid 1965.

Unless that '62 had a replacement axle, it would be a tapered Axle requiring a Hub Puller to remove the Drums without damage.

Since you own 1954 Models you might be used to them all being rather High Numerical Ratios for Low powered, small 232 V8's or Sixes often with Overdrive, to help slow the engines.
          Automatics were mostly 3.54 and O.D. 4.56.

A '62 would very likely be a 3.31 for Auto. & 3 Speed or a 3.73 for O.D. this will improve your Fuel Mileage, noise level and reduce engine wear, IF you have the Power to turn it and not a lot of weight to push.

The Dana Model 44's used on many but not all V8 Cars (after '58 mostly 289's), are all interchangeable 1953 to 1966.

Unfortunately, lately I can not come even close to generalizing a statement just for the intended purposes of the scope of the String, without my TROLL coming along behind me and trying to find some Fly stuff in the Pepper to jabber about it not being true for EVERYTHING, Anywhere, anytime.
          I expect him to say that the 1852 Wagons & Buggies did not have tapered Axles!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM.
          StudeRich

Comment

The 'T' identifies the ramp angle of the Twin Traction differential carrier as 30º. The tag for 45º ramps is stamped '45'.
            So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Correct Dwain, I did forget about those seldom used Ramp Angle Tags used on the older units.
              StudeRich

Comment

The tag on my 51 Land Cruiser has a "W" on it. What is that significance, if any?

Comment

Another way to tell if it's TT is to smash the gas and see if both tires spin!!!!!!

Comment

Thank all of you for your input. The intended car is a 54 "K" body. Stock V8 with 3 speed overdrive.
                    Stude Rookie

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      The 'T' identifies the ramp angle of the Twin Traction differential carrier as 30º. The tag for 45º ramps is stamped '45'.
                      That's great info, Dwain! That explains one of my longstanding questions about Barney. Thanks!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

What exactly is a "ramp angle"?

Comment

The repair manual gives excellent explaination and pix, start there. Doofus

Comment

Working...
                          X