A/C Convertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: A/C Convertion

Hello everyone, I have a 1974 Avanti. The A/C compressor is shot. I would like to convert the system over to a R-134A instead of the R-12. I tried looking for the replacement compressor for the conversion, the # that is of the current compressor is 5910740 Frigidaire. I suppose I will also need the expansion valve and the dryer. If someone can help me out with ware to look or of the crossover numbers I would vary much appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

All hoses need to be replaced with "Barrier Hose" to be compatible with r-134. not sure if your comp is compatible with change over but will need change to 134 compatible oil. a new comp might come ready to go. switching to a modern comp like a Sanden will save your back and be more efficient. you can try Vintage Air and get guidance also decent prices. Luck Doofus

Comment

You can opt to keep the R-12 hoses, and maybe change them in a year, or a decade, but will likely need to recharge the system once or twice per year, in the interim. If you opt to stay with OEM style compressor, the new one will likely come with info stating whether it has R-134 compatible oil. If not, it is easy to change.

I agree with doofus, a modern, Sanyo 508 style compressor is practical, but you will probably need a mount adapter, and hose connection adapters, if you opt to keep the current hoses.

With R-134 and current OEM components, you will still get cold air, down into the low 30s on fan low speed, and low 40s on higher fan speeds. But it takes a minute or two longer than with R-12.

Comment

I planned on changing the compressor, dryer and expansion valve.
        Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Larmay View Post
          I planned on changing the compressor, dryer and expansion valve.
          Thanks for the help.
          I absolutely agree on the drier, but if the current expansion valve works OK, I'd leave it alone, till it goes bad. It may last a year, or 20 years. The 134 will not hurt it, and you will not be able to tell the difference between valves with a thermometer. Your OEM valve may actually be of better quality than the off shore valves that have flooded the market long ago. For sure, it will perform no better or worse.

Comment

Thanks joehall

Comment

[QUOTE=Charles Larmay;1000659]Hello everyone, I have a 1974 Avanti. The A/C compressor is shot. I would like to convert the system over to a R-134A instead of the R-12. I tried looking for the replacement compressor for the conversion, the # that is of the current compressor is 5910740 Frigidaire. I suppose I will also need the expansion valve and the dryer. If someone can help me out with ware to look or of the crossover numbers I would vary much appreciate it.
              Thanks in advance.[/QUOTI

I have changed two from R12 to 134a, did not change hoses, expansion valves or dryer or compressor, both worked just fine for many years. One was an old (1968) GM Fridgidaire A6, one was a 1992 Seiko. However both were still holding pressure, and had not been opened to air except for a few minutes. If your compressor is trash, and the system has lost pressure, then, yes you should replace the dryer and expansion valve. You don't necessarily need OEm or other part numbers. There are plenty of inexpensive generic parts available.

If you don't have a set of AC gauges and don't fully understand how AC systems work, you're probably better off to pay someone to repair it. Find an independent shade-tree mechanic you can work with. It isn't rocket science.

I also did a new install on a car which was not originally AC. Used a Sanden (aka. Sanyo) 508, worked just fine.
              Last edited by jnormanh; 07-11-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=jnormanh;1001057]
                Hello everyone, I have a 1974 Avanti. The A/C compressor is shot. I would like to convert the system over to a R-134A instead of the R-12. I tried looking for the replacement compressor for the conversion, the # that is of the current compressor is 5910740 Frigidaire. I suppose I will also need the expansion valve and the dryer. If someone can help me out with ware to look or of the crossover numbers I would vary much appreciate it.
                Thanks in advance.[/QUOTI

I have changed two from R12 to 134a, did not change hoses, expansion valves or dryer or compressor, both worked just fine for many years. One was an old (1968) GM Fridgidaire A6, one was a 1992 Seiko. However both were still holding pressure, and had not been opened to air except for a few minutes. If your compressor is trash, and the system has lost pressure, then, yes you should replace the dryer and expansion valve. You don't necessarily need OEm or other part numbers. There are plenty of inexpensive generic parts available.

If you don't have a set of AC gauges and don't fully understand how AC systems work, you're probably better off to pay someone to repair it. Find an independent shade-tree mechanic you can work with. It isn't rocket science.

I also did a new install on a car which was not originally AC. Used a Sanden (aka. Sanyo) 508, worked just fine.
                Thanks jnormanh, I am having a friend of mine help me out with this conversion. He has all the equipment for this. I am just trying to get everything in order before the actual conversion. I am just lacking one piece of information I need. Like how much oil goes in the compressor. It is a 4 season compressor.

Comment

[QUOTE=Charles Larmay;1001762]
                  Originally posted by jnormanh View Post

Thanks jnormanh, I am having a friend of mine help me out with this conversion. He has all the equipment for this. I am just trying to get everything in order before the actual conversion. I am just lacking one piece of information I need. Like how much oil goes in the compressor. It is a 4 season compressor.
                  Four Season makes several different AC compressors. Surely there should be oil info that came with it? If not, then an on-line search will tell you. Oil charge can be anything from 4 oz. to 8 oz.

In fact, here it is:

http://www.4s.com/media/4981741/Four...city-Guide.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the link. For my unit it says to refer to the decal under the hood. Which there is none. I even called Summit. They told me the same thing. "Refer to the decal under the hood." I really do appreciate your info. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the link. For my unit it says to refer to the decal under the hood. Which there is none. I even called Summit. They told me the same thing. "Refer to the decal under the hood." I really do appreciate your info. Thanks
                      Often, but not always, new compressors come already charged. It the info that came with it does not say, pull the drain plug and take a looksee.

If it's dry, I'd put 8 oz in it and call it good.
                      Last edited by jnormanh; 07-17-2016, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X