ALSA Chrome FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: ALSA Chrome FX

Has anyone used this, seen it in person or priced having it done? My budget is shot for the moment, and it seems like a possible short term remedy, depending on price. It's a bit too spendy for a one time job to purchase it myself.

http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machin...paint-systems/
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
    Has anyone used this, seen it in person or priced having it done? My budget is shot for the moment, and it seems like a possible short term remedy, depending on price. It's a bit too spendy for a one time job to purchase it myself.

I haven't used this particular product, but have used similar ones.

1. The result you achieve depends on meticulous preparation. Under the best conditions you can achieve a bright, shiny finish. No one who knows will likely mistake it for real chrome plating, but to the casual observer, it will look attractive.

2. Used on parts not exposed to weather, and avoiding harsh cleaners, it may look fine for several years.

3. On exterior parts it might look good for a year, possibly longer.

4. There are some one-shot chrome-like paints that look fairly nice, cost less, and are easier to use.

The same company, Alsa, makes them as do several others, Including Plasti-cote for under $20 per aerosol can.

5. You're not going to fool a show judge or anyone who has paid for real chrome plating, but the results might satisfy you.

Comment

we had a discussion on here last year, I think, some happy, some disappointed. With the server change I can't find it, but it seemed, if you had it done by a specialty shop, set up to do it properly with proper equipment, it was "almost" as good. Especially for irreplaceable cast items made of pot metal. But trying it at home was no better than the "phony chrome" rattle can from the paint aisle. I think it was similar to the mirror silvering process, but in reverse.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Signs 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1707812How does this look for painted chrome

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe Express View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]56297[/ATTACH]How does this look for painted chrome
          If a chrome plating shop gave me something like that with all those stray reflections around the lights, I'd refuse to accept it. Chrome plating, well done, should reflect just like a glass mirror.

But, if it suits you, then that's all that counts.

Here's what real chrome plating, done by a competent shop, looks like.

Comment

jnormanh -

Wake up, it's "PAINT"...!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
              jnormanh -

Wake up, it's "PAINT"...!

Mike
              Yes, Mike. That's the point. If someone sells paint and says it looks like real chrome plating, well, that's simply not true.

However, if someone wants to use, and it satisfied with "chrome-like" paint, then that's their business.

I can spray "chrome" paint on a bumper for $20.

I can send it to a reputable shop for $400.

There's a reason the $400 bumper platers have more business than they can handle, and the $1000 bumper platers are scratching for work.

Here's a shop I know personally. For a plain bumper, like a Studebaker, and if not badly bent or rusted, they will give you a show quality job for about $400. If you want a rusted, dented '57 Olds bumper returned to show quality, it will cost a lot more.

Yes, good quality chrome plating can be expensive. That doesn't mean it's a rip-off (although some shops are, especially SW USA shops that are actually fronts that send their work to Mexico).

It doesn't cost very much to plate a new bumper, formed from premium quality steel and done in lot quantities of thousands. In fact I believe it is true that all new chrome plated USA pick up truck bumpers come out of a highly automated factory in Canada where they are never touched by human hand from coil steel to finished product. High capital investment/minimal labor cost. I don't know, but I'd wager the plating cost per bumper is less than $30.

There are many man-hours involved in straightening, stripping, dent removal, polishing, and finally replating a bumper. And there are substantial costs in chemicals, equipment and environmental compliance and worker safety.

* I have no financial or personal interest in this company. I just happen to know them professionally because I did work for them which they were unable to do themselves.

http://tricityplating.com/

I also know one of the shops which does OEM plating for Harley. I won't mention their name because they do no work for the general public. What I can tell you is that their work, which always requires hand-work polishing and prep, isn't cheap, but Harley thinks it's fair.

I do too. It you want to see really good chrome work, just look at a new Harley. It don't get no better.
              Last edited by jnormanh; 07-09-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Posted by jnormah
                * I have no financial or personal interest in this company. I just happen to know them professionally because I did work for them which they were unable to do themselves.

http://tricityplating.com/
                You mentioned plating a 57 Olds bumper, interestingly, a good friend is building a 57 Super 88 and has been looking for a chrome shop.

A question, have you looked at the work this shop has done on bumpers as large as the Olds front and does it meet with your standards.

Secondly, If you like their work on an item as large as an Olds bumper, I'll give the website to my friend and let him make contact and judge for himself. Price determination I'll leave up to him.

Any other shops to recommend also.

Thx, Bob

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1707813The hubcap I posted was a one-year-only size for a 36 Dictator. The stainless steel skin was so beat up it could not be repaired and polished to look presentable. I had to find a solution and I'm extremely impressed with the results. If you saw it in person you would never know the the difference. When I show it to people they can't believe it. Of course the durabliltiy is that of epoxy clearcoat, not chrome, so you have to take care of it like you do the finish on your car. Here's what it looks like installed.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    You mentioned plating a 57 Olds bumper, interestingly, a good friend is building a 57 Super 88 and has been looking for a chrome shop.

A question, have you looked at the work this shop has done on bumpers as large as the Olds front and does it meet with your standards.

Secondly, If you like their work on an item as large as an Olds bumper, I'll give the website to my friend and let him make contact and judge for himself. Price determination I'll leave up to him.

Any other shops to recommend also.

Thx, Bob
                    I haven't seen '57 Olds specifically, but as far as I know they can do any size bumper, and I'd expect the quality to be very good. Your friend should discuss quality and cost with them.

I don't know them, but I have heard good things about Advanced Plating, Nashville, TN, and Graves Plating, Florence, AL

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56298[/ATTACH]The hubcap I posted was a one-year-only size for a 36 Dictator. The stainless steel skin was so beat up it could not be repaired and polished to look presentable. I had to find a solution and I'm extremely impressed with the results. If you saw it in person you would never know the the difference. When I show it to people they can't believe it. Of course the durabliltiy is that of epoxy clearcoat, not chrome, so you have to take care of it like you do the finish on your car. Here's what it looks like installed.
                      I'd pay $20 for that...maybe even $25!
                      Mike Davis
                      Regional Manager, North Carolina
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

Scroll down further on your link to the "Killer Cans" option and select Killer Chrome. This three stage (black epoxy, spray chrome, clear)spray pack system is sold in Oz, and results are very good for $149. I have not used it myself, as I had difficulty purchasing without an ABN (business number), but the local panel beater used it to good effect. A lot cheaper than the other option - If it is not up to the standard you want, you have only burnt $150.

Comment

That would suit me for the short term. What did you use?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56297[/ATTACH]How does this look for painted chrome
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                            I haven't seen '57 Olds specifically, but as far as I know they can do any size bumper, and I'd expect the quality to be very good. Your friend should discuss quality and cost with them.

I don't know them, but I have heard good things about Advanced Plating, Nashville, TN, and Graves Plating, Florence, AL
                            \

Thanks, I passed on the info this morning and Rod will be stopping there when he attends Olds International later in the summer.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X