Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doofus
    replied
    53 has intercooler, not used yet, 62 has space problem but am working on it. VA has me on Lite Duty for a while so puttering around is most allowable but you are right on all counts.superchargers heat the air also and some do use air to water Charge Air Coolers,some Air to Air. Doofus

Leave a comment:

• what huh
    replied
    I know this thread is old but I have read this thread a couple of time and I noticed something this last go round....

There are a lot of these turbo builds without inter-coolers....why? just easier?

I understand that turbos can be run without inter-coolers but turbos generate a lot of heat that causes your intake temps to raise. Much more heat then superchargers that rarely ever use inter-coolers.

With heat comes risk of detenation
    Last edited by what huh; 11-19-2016, 07:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Man-o-man... I am happy for you.
    Your thrash has been worth it...
    Two hot race cars in your driveway...
    How cool is that!

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
    No, engine is hitting the limiter before the traps and car then stops gaining mph. If you note the mph of the other cars they are running all out at 130 plus. Rpm limiter holds it back to hit the index threshold of 10.00. It will go 9.90's if unlimited. Max boost was 12-13 across the line on custom made 1 of 1 Rice Performance Manifold. Jeff, that was a new 1/8 et record and mph for this 289 +.060" stude.

Leave a comment:

• 11SecAvanti
    replied
    No, engine is hitting the limiter before the traps and car then stops gaining mph. If you note the mph of the other cars they are running all out at 130 plus. Rpm limiter holds it back to hit the index threshold of 10.00. It will go 9.90's if unlimited. Max boost was 12-13 across the line on custom made 1 of 1 Rice Performance Manifold. Jeff, that was a new 1/8 et record and mph for this 289 +.060" stude.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    9.994 .. Woohoo!
    Did you put a different chip in it?

Leave a comment:

• 11SecAvanti
    replied
    Studebaker qualified # 4 in the field of 10 for the third quarter 10.00 Pro Lite Index this weekend. Won the first round on a double breakout of 9.994 @ 127.51. (tom c)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bill A
    replied
    Banks has some good information on turbo exhaust temperatures, I know they are primarily concerned with diesel exhaust temps but a primer/ educational explanation on cause and effect can be read.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Originally posted by doofus View Post
    Good idea Leo but you only want to cool the center section and compressor section, the turbine section need to stay hot .thats why the pipes on the '53 are wrapped, to keep heat in. the turbo works off the expanding gasses in the exhaust stream . i'll try a test fit of a TO4B on wifes 57 and see what it fits like. hope she don't catch me leaning over the fender with a turbo in hand! Happy Motoring , Doofus
    Gotcha, hence the operational "solution" of an intercooler to the whole process....

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Good idea Leo but you only want to cool the center section and compressor section, the turbine section need to stay hot .thats why the pipes on the '53 are wrapped, to keep heat in. the turbo works off the expanding gasses in the exhaust stream . i'll try a test fit of a TO4B on wifes 57 and see what it fits like. hope she don't catch me leaning over the fender with a turbo in hand! Happy Motoring , Doofus

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Originally posted by doofus View Post
    The 62 will develop 18+ lbs boost but its hard to read as things are happening pretty quick! Not a racer just a daily driver with 27 TT axle. still have to much heat trapped under hood which boils fuel in carb bowl. looking to add system to pull hot air out but still drive in hot weather in spite of.limited space required turbo to be side mounted.
    You may already have the inner fender panels removed, but if not, wouldn't louvering or cutting slots in the inner fender near the turbo help any with your cooling? Probably not, but maybe?

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Or Ted Harbit. the small turbo's are "New Style" from a brand X with 7lb waste gates. Just for fun. Doofus

Leave a comment:

• Bill A
    replied
    I know that Mercedes Benz always mount them in the block . On some models they were placed just above the crankshaft location in the outer block webbing kind of like an engine mount and other models had them placed in the valley in a center location all being mounted to the block with bolts.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Turbo technology has changed immensely in the last few years.
    Those old books are good, but can easily be out of date.
    Most of the newer turbo's have built in wastegates and vacuum controls and are much more efficient.
    Check with Tom C. (11sec Avanti)
    He's running a newer turbo..

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    EvilHawk, those out of print turbo books, how to select and install turbochargers, are a goldmine of info and will speed you on your way, literally, but there are pitfalls. their are selection charts that will help pick the right turbo, or find one that looks promising and start the project. as i was Heavy Equipment Repairer for Ar Nat Grd i worked in a turbo rich environment. it got to the point where other Mechs would point out different size turbo's on equipment they were repairing. 3 current "In Use" turbo's include a generator cast off unit i rebuilt, a TO4 68, a TO4B from an Italian scrap yard, and the Rajay 370E70 which everyone thot was an air blower ,or fan to move air around! free issue in Texas and i wound up with it.Believe it came on a rough terrain fork lift, not sure because original PN over stamped with 370E70. i have a couple more to play with when time allows, but life tends to get in the way. PM me if i can help, Happy motoring , Doofus

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Agreed... Just sharing info.. Sometimes it can be convoluted.

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
    Pretty good articles DEEPNHOCK, but to some extent they both continue the misuse of preignition and detonation, and the Autospeed article even includes the unfortunate non word "pre-detonation".

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...ineBasics.html

regards,

Dan T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X