No announcement yet.

Turbo Cars Pics****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there are so many who stop by here who are NOT SDC members and have probably never seen a copy of Turning Wheels over the years, let me post a pic of THE turbo-Stude... Jim Lange's Bonneville record holder (224+mph, set in '09). Salt willing he'll be back in August, new twin-turbo Stude engine and new Tremec 5-speed. Both were test run last summer at Wilmington. This is the current record-holding engine. The new one differs very little in outward appearance.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it IS still registered, insured, and occasionally driven on the street!
    Attached Files

Comment

Jim's our man!
      Congrats on his incredible success. Only a dream for most of us.
      Bill

Comment

Some where in there resides 8 spark plugs, hopefully. I have followed Jim's progress since the beginning.before that another Stude nut pushed his Avanti with Paxton to near 200.His name escapes me now,met him at Springfield nats right after Brother in laws Hawk sent water pump shaft out for an airing!! What a year that was!!! anybody interested in turbo's look up out of print How to books there still around, and enjoy the ride. Happy Motoring, Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
          Since there are so many who stop by here who are NOT SDC members and have probably never seen a copy of Turning Wheels over the years, let me post a pic of THE turbo-Stude... Jim Lange's Bonneville record holder (224+mph, set in '09). Salt willing he'll be back in August, new twin-turbo Stude engine and new Tremec 5-speed. Both were test run last summer at Wilmington. This is the current record-holding engine. The new one differs very little in outward appearance.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it IS still registered, insured, and occasionally driven on the street!
          I'm sure in their Bonneville racing form they are now heavily modified, but what did those heads start life as?

Scott Griggs
          Louisville, KY

Comment

Hey Spriggs, those are Studebaker heads, HEAVILY modified. the intake ports have been completely milled out to valve pocket and new ports fabbed from blocks of aluminum. suspect this was partly done to match a 360 mopar manifold spacing wise and for better port alignment. nice trick! this is from an old copy of Total Performance magazine by Dick Datson. think their still around and chock full of good tips. Happy Motoring, Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
              Here's mine. Version 1 design layout.
              Is That a JTS water manifold being used to mount an alternator??....Wow some folks would really like to have that
              "Fords are cars Studebakers are Automobiles" -Jerry Washburn

Comment

Regarding Jim's heads, they started as NOS 289 V/8s that Jim hogged out, toyed with, and tested over the years. I've the flow-bench numbers of several of them compared with everything from stock 289, Ron Hall's R-3s, and several other modifies. Jim's have consistently flowed the best, which is no surprise. Bo Bert in his 9.99 second quarter-mile GT used Jim's heads, as well. Dave Bloomberg used Jim's heads. And, just to get the story straight, the aluminum plates used for adapters do NOT go to a Chrysler intake on Jim's car, but instead an ancient, Olds Hilborn mechanical fuel-injection (non-electronic dictated by the "Classic" class in which Jim runs).

Btw, we are leaving Effingham, IL Aug 12 to pull out to B'ville this year. After two years of Speed Week being canceled (and earlier this year being told that racing was probably done there for the foreseeable future) the thing is ON, AGAIN!!! Maybe this year we'll go FAST... but, that's what we always say, hehehehe!!!

Comment

Post lots of pix please, hope you get to escape velocity, at Bvill not towing! best of luck, Doofus

Comment

Great post and pictures, so many different variations available.

Comment

Avanti ran the following Friday evening. 289 +.060 motor with single turbo, no intercooler. Max boost at the 1/8 was 12 lbs and max at the finish was 13 lbs. with rpm limiter at 6400 from 1000 ft out. (tom c)
                      Attached Files
                      Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Does anyone know if he is running a knock sensor and if so where it's mounted? that would a valuable aid to avoiding problems. Thanks , Doofus

Comment

I don't believe Tom has on on that engine.... (but iirc....Ted was running one on one of his engines)

But, according to the ASE, it could be mounted anywhere on the block, heads, or intake manifold.

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/kn...-symptoms.html

A good read for retro-fitting one..

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...-Part-1&A=0348
                          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 07-31-2016, 04:20 AM.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Guess you gotta change your screen name to 10SecAvanti, but maybe should wait a few weeks since you might have to change it again to 9SecAvanti .

What gear ratio is in the rear end now?

Comment

Pretty good articles DEEPNHOCK, but to some extent they both continue the misuse of preignition and detonation, and the Autospeed article even includes the unfortunate non word "pre-detonation".

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...ineBasics.html

regards,

Dan T

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                                The 62 will develop 18+ lbs boost but its hard to read as things are happening pretty quick! Not a racer just a daily driver with 27 TT axle. still have to much heat trapped under hood which boils fuel in carb bowl. looking to add system to pull hot air out but still drive in hot weather in spite of.limited space required turbo to be side mounted.A/C comp on custom bracket where batt sat. batt moved back on custom bracket. P/S exh. manifold flipped and short "Y" joins crossover pipe and man.stub to feed turbo. use 2 different turbo's, rajay 3,70E70 in winter but to much heat in summer. larger Airesearch for hot weather, it's design doesn't heat pressurized air so much. 30 min to switch, harder to change plugs! 53 uses 2 flipped exh man. to feed turbo but wiring is still incomplete so no legal testing.3 in side pipes w/baffles kinda let neighbors know i'm slipping out for testing and they look the other way as it's handy to have a car savvy neighbor. need to add p/s to 62 as shoulders getting a little stiffer and down shifting and steering in curves getting sluggish. both cars 4 spds. hope this gives someone ideas. Happy Motoring, Doofus
                                Well I want to turbocharge a stock 289 full flow. There have been no mods done to the engine. I was thinking single turbo mounted directly off the flipped exhaust manifold if there is enough room under the hood ('59 Hawk). It will be on a driver, not a racer. I just want a little extra power. Something more than a stock goldenhawk supercharger, but it doesnt need to run 11 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Comment

Working...
                                X