New drum brakes adjustment???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: New drum brakes adjustment???

Ok so I have new shoes and wheel cylinders for my 1940 commander. In the book is says I need to adjust anchor pins so the clearance is .005 at the heal and .010 at the top. But what am
    i measuring the clearance of? Sorry a little confused on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

If typical, clearance of installed drum to lining face. there should be a window about 1/4 by 3/8 on the outward face of brake drum right where the wear surface and drum/hub face meet. so, for each shoe, align this slot at bottom of shoe, adjust so a 0.005/.006 feeler gauge will fit between lining and wear face of drum. Rotate up and adjust similarly to 0.01/0.015 or there. do teh same for other shoe. Repeat at each wheel. Let others chime in, i may be off but this is what i remember.

Scott K

Comment

Ok thanks. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure how to get the feeler gauge between the two.

Comment

"Anchor Pins" do not sound to me like the Adjuster Eccentrics, I hope that it is just a difference of wording thing.

Or, adjust them so they just barely do not drag, break it in, and re-adjust both eccentrics on all 4.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sounds like a typo to me. the anchor pin doesn't move,but the eccentric will rotate to push shoe out toward drum surface. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
          X