Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Looks like an accident on it's way to happen. Disconnect it.

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    As mentioned above, it is the "Anti Creep" developed by Studebaker to make the automatic transmissions more appealing to buyers; automatic trannys were still new to most car buyers in 1951. I've had 2 cars with this set up installed, neither one worked and I didn't miss it at all.

You can test it by stopping the car and slowly releasing the brake pedal, it shouldn't creep forward until the gas pedal is pressed.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    As Bob explained, this is the Anti-creep on an automatic transmission equipped car; no similarity to the hill-holder with standard transmissions. The slightest touch of the accelerator releases the solenoid. Still works in my '51 after 65 years.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    I just disconnected the one on my 54. Works fine without it - like a modern car.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Is a "Hold Reel" something like a Fuse or Circuit Breaker maybe?

It is applied by the Transmission Switch and the Brake Switch and RELEASED by the Accelerator Switch.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    On cars with the Detroit gear automatic there is a solenoid in the rear hydraulic brake circuit that locks the brake fluid for the rear brake cylinders in so the rear wheel cylinders do not release and prevent the car from moving.
    It is called an anti-creep valve.
    It releases when the gas pedal is depressed.
    I enlarged the picture of the switch.
    There are only two connections on the switch.
    It can be hooked up to either terminal,one to the ignition switch and the other one to the solenoid.
    Robert Kapteyn

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    It is not a "hill holder" as applied to vehicles of the 40's, 50s and 60's as they were all purely mechanical. Perhaps a search on "line lock" would be more beneficial, these solenoid controlled units are a modern attempts to do the same thing, and it appears to be one such unit. As to brand wiring and location of the switch, any relays etc., would be manufacturer specific. One such example is here: http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/174-...FUpZhgodnoEImw

Leave a comment:

• fpstude
    replied
    I did not know about an electric hill holder. Can someone provide some educational information on this. Here it is only 7 AM and I have learned something new today.

Leave a comment:

• Maycom
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	holder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1707765 Her is the switch on the bulkhead

Leave a comment:

• Maycom
    started a topic Brakes: Hill Holder 1951 studebaker

Hill Holder 1951 studebaker

Hi!
    I have a 1951 Studebaker with hill holder, it is of the electric type, there sits a switch on the bulkhead, which is activated by the accelerator.
    I am very unsure of Capital I should connect this up, from switching on the bulkhead there is a line out from the hill holder is the 2 wires out.
    Should there be any kind of hold Reel on the circuit?
    Someone who can help me? For little or no information on the internet about this kind of hill holder.
Working...
X