Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would this 5-speed shifter be in relation to the seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xcalibur
    replied
    I just happened upon this thread... obviously not the same Stude, but perhaps for someones future reference. This is the GM T-5 (apparently like the one in the original poster's pic) in my '63 Avanti. Current location, as pictured, is 3/4" forward of stock (the Stude rear bellhousing motor-mount has been reversed).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Flat Ernie
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan View Post
    Ernie, I agree the cases are the same, but the tail shafts are different lengths and the bushings are different between the Ford and Chev. If I was going to put $700 into a tail shaft, I would just buy a TKO.
    I agree on the TKO and price-point. This tailhousing is overpriced. Regardless, the tailshafts are all pretty much the same length....within 1/4" and the bushing is far enough back that it isn't an issue unless you have a short yoke. ALL of the difference in length is at the end where the splines are. Therefore, this housing will bolt onto a Chevy case, WC or NWC. I've never had any issues putting an S10 tailshaft onto either a Mustang or a Camaro T5, and neither have many, many folks who have done the same. The tailshafts are, for all practical purposes, the same and there is absolutely no reason the housings won't interchange.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Ernie, I agree the cases are the same, but the tail shafts are different lengths and the bushings are different between the Ford and Chev. If I was going to put $700 into a tail shaft, I would just buy a TKO.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Good info, Ernie.... Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Flat Ernie
    replied
    Read the website of the manufacturer. about 1/4 the way down it says compatibility with Ford WC transmissions only.
    Then the MFGR doesn't know their own product. The T5 is a modular transmission that allows you to mix-n-match all parts within class (WC & NWC), and many parts universally regardless of class - the tailshaft and topcover are one of those near universal products.

The only difference between WC & NWC tailshafts is the 5-spd oiling funnel and the cases are machined slightly differently here, but they are mostly compatible if you know what you're doing with the funnels...

The Ford T5 out of Fox-body Mustangs is, by far, the most common T5 and why most products are "geared" or "advertised" toward this market. They're also the strongest stock T5s. The MFGR comment may be nothing more than advertising or marketing.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    The 'World Class' trans is beefed up and it is 'the' trans to use if you are making any kind of real horsepower.
    While the WC is stronger than a NWC for like application, even within the WC family, not all are equal. The strongest T5 is the aftermarket Ford Motorsports/Racing/SVO/whatever-they-call-themselves-these-days T5Z. The next strongest is the '89-95 Ford V8 T5 (the 94-95 have a .74" longer input shaft and use a two-year unique bellhousing in the Mustang), the next strongest is the '87-89 Ford V8 T5 and then most of the rest of the WC boxes are about the same. All else being equal, a higher first gear ratio (lower numerically) will be stronger than a lower first gear ratio.

There are a few tricks when building a T5 to beef it up, but just setting the end play at the tight end of the limits and using a shifter with adjustable stops properly set will make them last longer.

The 5.0 Mustang crowd generally switches to a TKO or other aftermarket tranny at around the 400HP mark. This is when running drag radials or narrow slicks in a relatively stock weight car (3100-3400lbs) to give you an idea. Most street driven Studes aren't making quite that much HP or have near that much traction, so a decent Mustang T5 should live a relatively long life in our cars.

Mine is out of a '92 Mustang GT with a stock shifter location which is fine with bucket seats. As mentioned above, I've currently got a bench seat and a forward 'Z' at the base of my shifter, but will be switching to Stude buckets later this year. Mine is a 289 with an R1/R2 cam, 500cfm Edelbrock, gasket matched heads, and dual exhaust - nothing exotic at all. But the 5-spd really transforms the feel of the car.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    The 'World Class' trans is beefed up and it is 'the' trans to use if you are making any kind of real horsepower.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Read the website of the manufacturer. about 1/4 the way down it says compatibility with Ford WC transmissions only.
    Last edited by Alan; 07-02-2016, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flat Ernie
    replied
    It does not fit a Camaro, Ford only.
    Which? The new one? The tailhousings are interchangeable on T5, so it should fit any T5.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    It does not fit a Camaro, Ford only.

Leave a comment:

• 1954khardtop
    replied
    Jeff, Thanks for the link. Its nice that the new set up is available. I used the S10 set up on my hot rod, but the supply of them is limited, and condition unknown. The new one is a phone call away and doesn't need reconditioning. If it was available when I did mine I would have definitely considered it.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by Flat Ernie View Post
    Starting at $650

My point was there are options out there, like the S-10 Chevy tailshaft housing.
    I see them on Ebay for $100 all the time.
    This new one looked nice.
    I guess it depends on what you want to get for your money..

Leave a comment:

• Flat Ernie
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Easy fix with this tailshaft kit...

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical...ailhousing.htm

Starting at $650

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Easy fix with this tailshaft kit...

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical...ailhousing.htm

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    I did similar, but in the other direction with the T-5 in my Turbo Pinto. I needed the shift lever shortened and moved backwards otherwise it was knuckles in the dash as I did sit-ups reaching for 1st, 3rd and 5th gears. A rubber boot on a Murkur console covered over the adaptation.

On thing I found was that if the angle of the shifter was not correct the motion was very awkward and difficult. I had originally made the adapter plate with a lower arcing slot to tilt (then tighten) the lever to suit my desired placement. However, that is when the odd motion characteristics came into play. In the end I had to get it as close as I could to where I wanted it..., but also where the motion felt right. And that was of course a compromise. I'd still prefer it back about 2".

Also, be careful to consider the full range of the seat movement (unless no one else will drive the car - and you will never sell it) and that as the lever lengthens the aspect of the non-moveable dash.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 48skyliner
    replied
    If you have basic fabrication skills, it is not difficult to make a "dogleg" shifter like mine. I used a piece of the Skyline floor tunnel so I could fit the rubber boot, and the actual shift lever is made from the piston rod of a gas strut, used to hold up the hatch on my Mazda. I also made a minor modification to the bench seat to clear the shifter. All this is necessary only if someone shorter than I needs to drive it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1707544 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter lever.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1707545 Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat cushion modified.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB