Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would this 5-speed shifter be in relation to the seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does not fit a Camaro, Ford only.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      It does not fit a Camaro, Ford only.
      Which? The new one? The tailhousings are interchangeable on T5, so it should fit any T5.
      -------------------
      Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Read the website of the manufacturer. about 1/4 the way down it says compatibility with Ford WC transmissions only.
        Last edited by Alan; 07-02-2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

The 'World Class' trans is beefed up and it is 'the' trans to use if you are making any kind of real horsepower.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Read the website of the manufacturer. about 1/4 the way down it says compatibility with Ford WC transmissions only.
            Then the MFGR doesn't know their own product. The T5 is a modular transmission that allows you to mix-n-match all parts within class (WC & NWC), and many parts universally regardless of class - the tailshaft and topcover are one of those near universal products.

The only difference between WC & NWC tailshafts is the 5-spd oiling funnel and the cases are machined slightly differently here, but they are mostly compatible if you know what you're doing with the funnels...

The Ford T5 out of Fox-body Mustangs is, by far, the most common T5 and why most products are "geared" or "advertised" toward this market. They're also the strongest stock T5s. The MFGR comment may be nothing more than advertising or marketing.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            The 'World Class' trans is beefed up and it is 'the' trans to use if you are making any kind of real horsepower.
            While the WC is stronger than a NWC for like application, even within the WC family, not all are equal. The strongest T5 is the aftermarket Ford Motorsports/Racing/SVO/whatever-they-call-themselves-these-days T5Z. The next strongest is the '89-95 Ford V8 T5 (the 94-95 have a .74" longer input shaft and use a two-year unique bellhousing in the Mustang), the next strongest is the '87-89 Ford V8 T5 and then most of the rest of the WC boxes are about the same. All else being equal, a higher first gear ratio (lower numerically) will be stronger than a lower first gear ratio.

There are a few tricks when building a T5 to beef it up, but just setting the end play at the tight end of the limits and using a shifter with adjustable stops properly set will make them last longer.

The 5.0 Mustang crowd generally switches to a TKO or other aftermarket tranny at around the 400HP mark. This is when running drag radials or narrow slicks in a relatively stock weight car (3100-3400lbs) to give you an idea. Most street driven Studes aren't making quite that much HP or have near that much traction, so a decent Mustang T5 should live a relatively long life in our cars.

Mine is out of a '92 Mustang GT with a stock shifter location which is fine with bucket seats. As mentioned above, I've currently got a bench seat and a forward 'Z' at the base of my shifter, but will be switching to Stude buckets later this year. Mine is a 289 with an R1/R2 cam, 500cfm Edelbrock, gasket matched heads, and dual exhaust - nothing exotic at all. But the 5-spd really transforms the feel of the car.
            -------------------
            Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Good info, Ernie.... Thanks!
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ernie, I agree the cases are the same, but the tail shafts are different lengths and the bushings are different between the Ford and Chev. If I was going to put $700 into a tail shaft, I would just buy a TKO.

Comment

Ernie, I agree the cases are the same, but the tail shafts are different lengths and the bushings are different between the Ford and Chev. If I was going to put $700 into a tail shaft, I would just buy a TKO.
                  I agree on the TKO and price-point. This tailhousing is overpriced. Regardless, the tailshafts are all pretty much the same length....within 1/4" and the bushing is far enough back that it isn't an issue unless you have a short yoke. ALL of the difference in length is at the end where the splines are. Therefore, this housing will bolt onto a Chevy case, WC or NWC. I've never had any issues putting an S10 tailshaft onto either a Mustang or a Camaro T5, and neither have many, many folks who have done the same. The tailshafts are, for all practical purposes, the same and there is absolutely no reason the housings won't interchange.
                  -------------------

Comment

I just happened upon this thread... obviously not the same Stude, but perhaps for someones future reference. This is the GM T-5 (apparently like the one in the original poster's pic) in my '63 Avanti. Current location, as pictured, is 3/4" forward of stock (the Stude rear bellhousing motor-mount has been reversed).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X