Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would this 5-speed shifter be in relation to the seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Where would this 5-speed shifter be in relation to the seats?

Interesting eBay listing for a project Stude frame and running gear.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-H...m=331890170054
    and someone might get it for far less than the cost to have a pro build to that point.

However, just wondering where the shifter is going to be in relation to the seats?

jack vines
    PackardV8

considering where the pedals are in relation, I'd say this will be perfect with bucket seats and no console.
    I'm glad I took a look as I now have a picture of how the inner end of the clutch tube interacts with the T5
    Just the ticket for my Lark. I also bought a Hurst shifter for the Camaro T5 and a short straight up shift lever.
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
      considering where the pedals are in relation, I'd say this will be perfect with bucket seats and no console.
      I'm glad I took a look as I now have a picture of how the inner end of the clutch tube interacts with the T5
      Just the ticket for my Lark. I also bought a Hurst shifter for the Camaro T5 and a short straight up shift lever.
      I guess Stude was covering bench and buckets, but the OEM Stude 4-speed shifter is way forward of where the 5-speed SROD sits.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

With a bench seat, you will need an offset shifter (offset forward) and you may still have interference in 2, 4, & R. You may be able to modify your lower bench seat rail (I did) and get enough clearance, but buckets will be far better. I'm converting to buckets and will build a custom center console.
        -------------------
        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

A good reference point would be the batwing cross member. The outer holes on the cross member are directly under the door to fender gap. It looks like the shifter is a foot or so behind that. If that's a T5 you can substitute the tail housing with one from an S10, they have the shifter at the front of the tail housing, right behind the gearbox.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

this looks very familiar...IIRC it was a forum member's project, I just can't recall who... nice work though

cheers junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
              If that's a T5 you can substitute the tail housing with one from an S10, they have the shifter at the front of the tail housing, right behind the gearbox.
              It appears to be a T5 from a Camaro/Firebird. And yes, you can swap on the tailhousing and top cover from an S10 to move the shifter forward. He'd need the tailhousing and top cover from a pre-90 S10 to use a cable speedometer and have to modify the tailshaft to locate the speedo drive gear. The Camaro/Firebird speedo gear is in a different place on the tailshaft than the S10. I have seen a kit on eBay to do just this, but the tailhousing changed in '90 or so and they went electronic speedo - some can be modified to take a cable speedo and some cannot...depends on the angle of the sensor hole.
              -------------------
              Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Ernie View Post
                With a bench seat, you will need an offset shifter (offset forward) and you may still have interference in 2, 4, & R. You may be able to modify your lower bench seat rail (I did) and get enough clearance, but buckets will be far better. I'm converting to buckets and will build a custom center console.
                Yeah, I was gonna say similar... a custom "bench seat" shifter would probably still work. Some of the shifters I've seen look like giant horse shoes for an elephant.
                sals54

Comment

Terry Lewis in Tucson did all the First Class work on this project. I have seen the work and you can eat off the chassis. The body he had for the car was tweaked beyond ever getting it back together so this is why the project is for sale. I did not think to ask about the location but there was another 62 GT that I had driven and I believe the console was moved backward a bit to fit the shift. The car performed great with a 3:73.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

If you have basic fabrication skills, it is not difficult to make a "dogleg" shifter like mine. I used a piece of the Skyline floor tunnel so I could fit the rubber boot, and the actual shift lever is made from the piston rod of a gas strut, used to hold up the hatch on my Mazda. I also made a minor modification to the bench seat to clear the shifter. All this is necessary only if someone shorter than I needs to drive it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1707544 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter lever.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1707545 Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat cushion modified.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1707546
                    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

I did similar, but in the other direction with the T-5 in my Turbo Pinto. I needed the shift lever shortened and moved backwards otherwise it was knuckles in the dash as I did sit-ups reaching for 1st, 3rd and 5th gears. A rubber boot on a Murkur console covered over the adaptation.

On thing I found was that if the angle of the shifter was not correct the motion was very awkward and difficult. I had originally made the adapter plate with a lower arcing slot to tilt (then tighten) the lever to suit my desired placement. However, that is when the odd motion characteristics came into play. In the end I had to get it as close as I could to where I wanted it..., but also where the motion felt right. And that was of course a compromise. I'd still prefer it back about 2".

Also, be careful to consider the full range of the seat movement (unless no one else will drive the car - and you will never sell it) and that as the lever lengthens the aspect of the non-moveable dash.
                      Attached Files
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Easy fix with this tailshaft kit...

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical...ailhousing.htm

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          Easy fix with this tailshaft kit...

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical...ailhousing.htm

Starting at $650
                          -------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Ernie View Post
                            Starting at $650

My point was there are options out there, like the S-10 Chevy tailshaft housing.
                            I see them on Ebay for $100 all the time.
                            This new one looked nice.
                            I guess it depends on what you want to get for your money..
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, Thanks for the link. Its nice that the new set up is available. I used the S10 set up on my hot rod, but the supply of them is limited, and condition unknown. The new one is a phone call away and doesn't need reconditioning. If it was available when I did mine I would have definitely considered it.
                              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X