Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there someone south of Seattle who is familair with the Turner brakes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brakes: Is there someone south of Seattle who is familair with the Turner brakes?

    We have a '64 GT Hawk, fairly new to the family, with a Turner brake system on the front. There is very little braking power, but the master cylinder isn't leaking, so that issue is ruled out. We would like to find a mechanic south of Seattle (car is in Spanaway) who is familiar with the Turner conversion, who might be able to take a look and see what exactly is needed to get the car to stop. Suggestions?

    Edit: We are specifically looking for a Seattle/Tacoma-area mechanic, since the car is in Spanaway, I am in Portland, and dad is up in Alaska. I wouldn't dare drive a car my dad did brake work on, and I would only be slightly more willing to drive one I did brake work on. I'm still a month into trying to merely attach the top transmission cooler line to the radiator in my Durango, if that give you an idea of how likely I am to willingly troubleshoot a vehicle's brakes.
    Last edited by pdx97206; 07-01-2016, 10:41 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by pdx97206 View Post
    We have a '64 GT Hawk, fairly new to the family, with a Turner brake system on the front. There is very little braking power, but the master cylinder isn't leaking, so that issue is ruled out. We would like to find a mechanic south of Seattle (car is in Spanaway) who is familiar with the Turner conversion, who might be able to take a look and see what exactly is needed to get the car to stop. Suggestions?
    I don't believe the conversion is your problem. More likely your booster-probably a hydrovac unit. Take some photos of the under hood area on the drivers side, and one of the front brakes. Braking "power" meaning the pedal is hard but it doesn't seem to do anything, usually points to the booster. There are forum members that may be able to direct you to a repair facility if you are not a "do-it-yourselfer"

    Comment


    • #3
      There are a lot of possibilities for this problem, one is an INTERNAL leaking Master Cylinder this is THE most common failure of a M/C where it just bi-passes the Main Cup Seal and loses the ability to "Pump" the Fluid.

      And of course the Dual diaphragm Hydrovac Booster for Power Disc Brakes could very well be bad.

      Poor stopping is often also a Pads/Caliper problem as well.

      For Good local Help:

      Contact Jerry Blount by a Personal Message (PM) at:
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...o=newpm&u=6297

      At the Studebaker Center of Oregon, He is in Damascus, OR

      _________________________________________________

      To pay Local Chapter Dues after joining the International Organization; Studebaker Drivers Club Inc.
      That can be done for a first time discount right here at the Top of these Pages.


      Treasurer of the Portland Area Chapter: The Northwest Chapter is:

      John Berg
      503-781-9277
      http://email

      Here are ALL of the Oregon Chapters:
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-28-2016, 01:48 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        That brings up a good point. What is the general opinion about the need for a booster or not with the Turner disk brake kit? Some say you need a booster and some say you don't?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

        17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

        Comment


        • #5
          There is a bunch of information needed before anyone can give an answer with any degree of accuracy.
          Did the car have the optional Bendix-Dunlop disc brakes originally?
          Did the car have power drum brakes originally?
          Does it have a dual master cylinder now?
          If it had power brakes, has the pedal been changed to one for non-power brakes?
          Are there check valves or a pressure regulator added to the system?
          The remote mounted Hydrovac booster cannot be used with a dual circuit master cylinder.
          So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

          Comment


          • #6
            I had similar symptoms on one of my cars. It was no fault of Jim Turners brakes but simply the rubber flex brake hoses were deteriorated. While they appeared fine from the outside the interior of the hoses had collapsed negatively impacting fluid pressure. It is an easy fix. Replace the hoses, bleed the brakes and you are good to go......
            ed ellis

            sigpic

            the "SUPER COUPE"

            Comment


            • #7
              Also could be wrong diameter master cylinder bore....too large would make a hard pedal and not much brake action for the effort.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                That brings up a good point. What is the general opinion about the need for a booster or not with the Turner disk brake kit? Some say you need a booster and some say you don't?
                Driver leg strength is also a factor, and most of us were stronger in our youth. Until the early 1990s, I was still squatting 400+ pounds in the weight room. Back then the 62GT had drum brakes, a PS pedal, with no booster, but pedal pressure was not an issue. Today, I probably could not squat 40 pounds, but that same car's pedal pressure has been greatly reduced, with 12" DBs and a "standard" brake pedal. But no booster yet.

                The wife's 63GT with early Turner brakes, has a booster, which is absolutely necessary for her, and me nowadays. I drove it without the booster, while it was out for rebuild. The wife would not drive the car till the booster was re-installed, and it was not fun for me to drive either.

                Folks who do not have the leg strength they used to, and hoping to reduce pedal pressure by installing Turner DBs, are in for a disappointment, if not including a booster. I have met and talked with several of those people.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 06-30-2016, 06:46 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Did you call Jim?
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

                  Jeff


                  Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



                  Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The car is currently in Spanaway, Washington, and I wouldn't drive it down here to the Portland area with the current braking issues. For now, we need help up North. Good to know that I have someone down here, though, when we can arrange more appropriate storage than my backyard. Thanks!


                    [QUOTE=StudeRich;998727]There are a lot of possibilities for this problem, one is an INTERNAL leaking Master Cylinder this is THE most common failure of a M/C where it just bi-passes the Main Cup Seal and loses the ability to "Pump" the Fluid.

                    And of course the Dual diaphragm Hydrovac Booster for Power Disc Brakes could very well be bad.

                    Poor stopping is often also a Pads/Caliper problem as well.

                    For Good local Help:

                    Contact Jerry Blount by a Personal Message (PM) at:
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...o=newpm&u=6297

                    At the Studebaker Center of Oregon, He is in Damascus, OR

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I emaild with Jim, and he did identify it from pictures as looking like "one of his." Just need to find a Seattle/Tacoma area Studebaker guy to spend a little time under the hood seeing what exactly was done (or not done) when it was installed.

                      Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      Did you call Jim?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The only question we need an answer for right now is if there is a Studebaker mechanic near Seattle, where the car is located. He will generate the next series of questions. Or better yet, he will resolve them all with a few simple tweaks of the system!

                        Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                        There is a bunch of information needed before anyone can give an answer with any degree of accuracy.
                        Did the car have the optional Bendix-Dunlop disc brakes originally?
                        Did the car have power drum brakes originally?
                        Does it have a dual master cylinder now?
                        If it had power brakes, has the pedal been changed to one for non-power brakes?
                        Are there check valves or a pressure regulator added to the system?
                        The remote mounted Hydrovac booster cannot be used with a dual circuit master cylinder.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That would be up to a mechanic to determine. The car is currently 150 miles away from me, and about 1600 miles from dad.

                          Originally posted by ed ellis View Post
                          I had similar symptoms on one of my cars. It was no fault of Jim Turners brakes but simply the rubber flex brake hoses were deteriorated. While they appeared fine from the outside the interior of the hoses had collapsed negatively impacting fluid pressure. It is an easy fix. Replace the hoses, bleed the brakes and you are good to go......

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There may be some very good Studebaker 'back-yarders' around that area but I don't know of any. The only place I know of that may have some Studebaker connection is 20-25 miles from Spanaway. Auburn Foreign and Domestic Car in Auburn, WA. (253)833-8161. Owner is Greg Hochhalter. I remember someone with that name as being an SDC member.
                            So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If someone can find the contact info for Avanti Northwest: Gary Johnson, he would be very good to use and is in Tacoma.

                              I understand he has scaled down his business some, but definitely still doing Studes. I think it was 2014/15 he completed the complete Original restoration of the Number Two Avanti, 1002.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-02-2016, 11:45 AM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X