200 4R Transmission Mount in 56 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 200 4R Transmission Mount in 56 Hawk

For those of you who have installed a 200 4R behind a 289 (in a Hawk), how did you mount the transmission?

I modified a stock Stude 4spd. crossmember.
    Though I may either modify it again or build a different one for more exhaust pipe clearance.

Most any "kit" crossmember will work as long as you keep in mind both the drive angle (crank shaft angle) and the exhaust pipes. Just like swapping any non-Stude trans. into a Stude.

Mike

Comment

I was wondering if the bell housing mount used in the 56 Hawk could be modified and fitted farther back and used as the cross member/mount for the 200 4R tail shaft...
      Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 06-29-2016, 05:16 AM.

Comment

While that is an interesting thought, get a second "mid-mount". Do not remove the original and move it back. The body needs the support of the mount where it is. The stock mid-mount would have to be shortened, then to be strong enough, you'd have to make up a mounting tab of some sort to be able to bole it to the frame. But doable. It seems on the surface anyway, that it would/could hang down quite a bit, unless you make it fit "between" the frame rails and out of the airstream...interesting thought...
        I'll look into this this weekend.

And by the way, since all of the Stude chassis are almost the same, and working with any rear mount trans., it really doesn't matter much what trans. you are working with.

Mike

Comment

After some careful measuring, it would appear that a tab could be welded to the body front pillar support cross member (534923). The front of the cross member is only two inches or so behind the end of the 200 4R trans.
          Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 06-29-2016, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I would NOT mount "any" aluminum transmission only by the bell housing..! Not even a 4 spd.
            As a mid-mount, maybe/sure, but not the sole mount. I bought and modified a pair of mounts to attach between stock mid-mount and the bell housing/block fasteners. I'm about 50-50% whether I'm going to use them.

As another would say...your car, your money...I would not do it that way.

Mike

Comment

Back in the 60's and 70's aluminum case 4 speeds in all makes of cars were being mounted by the bell housing only and were snapping the mounting ears off the transmissions right and left. Because of this universal transmission cross members came into being. The extra stress of more powerful engines and the fact the aluminum case transmissions were designed to have a cross member under them led to breakage of those just hung off the bellhousing. Naturally this applies to the old fore and after engine-bellhousing mounts.

Comment

To clarify...I'm going to weld a plate on the cross member AFTER the Stock Bell Housing mount cross member, and I will bolt the 200-4R rear mount too it. This cross member is called the "Pillar Support Mount" cross member...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                  To clarify...I'm going to weld a plate on the cross member AFTER the Stock Bell Housing mount cross member, and I will bolt the 200-4R rear mount too it. This cross member is called the "Pillar Support Mount" cross member...
                  That should work, just be sure to have the same angle on the trans output shaft as it was originally.

That trans will make it a better ride.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X