No announcement yet.

Anyone running E85 in a Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned years ago that there's always a background (or back story) behind words. We saw this in the Nimesh thread; one person went into an attack that was out of proportion to the question- it was clear that the attacker had an agenda unrelated to the question at hand.

This GM piece is another example. Many if the statements were adjusted to have the ring of truth, but ignore key points or the big picture. Some examples:

Here we see vague comments like "Already coming down" and "relatively small increases"... They talk about surpluses- but as growth of this continues, how long will there be surpluses? And when the government sees the big increase in demand- and therefore cost- and pulls all subsidies farmers get, what will that do to prices? And how many farmers will want on the bandwagon and abandon what they currently grow, and what will that do to the prices of those crops? A good example of the Process of Unintended Consequences (PUC).

White corn in Mexico is protected with a tariff against U.S. corn. The tortilla crisis was a result of speculation, not real world corn prices.

Another short view. Current oil (and therefore gas) prices are the result of not supply- there's plenty of crude on the market, but the prices were driven up by speculators guessing on future demand- thereby setting the "real world" prices. Why would corn be different- here or anywhere else? Another example of PUC.

Milk prices are set by a formula under regional Milk Marketing Orders, the main component of which is supply and demand of dry milk powder, whey powder and cheddar cheese. The regional MMO sets the price bottlers must pay farmers for milk. The prices are high now, thanks to a supply shortfall driven by global trends, including dairy policies in Europe, a long-term drought in Australia, growing demand for milk powder in Asia and the rapid growth of cheese consumption in the United States. Those trends have raised the base price of milk paid to California dairy farmers. [Source: Renewable Fuels Association (RFA), USDA, USGAO]

All these things are probably true. But it stands to reason that, if these things are increasing milk prices, wouldn't the same apply to corn? If milk and milk product demand is up, and the market is demanding the MMO raise prices, what happens when the farmers increase the size of their milking herds to meet the demand, thereby raising their costs- and their need for corn, raising that demand? Either the PUC in action again, or special interests spinning the big picture to fit their interests- i.e. a good sales pitch.

There is about 15-20 percent fuel economy degradation with E85 versus gasoline. However, if the price of ethanol is at least 15-20 less than gasoline, it is an economic benefit to the consumer. Additionally, there are other benefits to running E85, including reduced greenhouse gas emissions and reduction in dependence on foreign oil

Most consumers aren't stupid; they realize that the percentage estimates of lower prices, b

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

E85 is just another example of lack of long-term vision, same as the environmentalist extreme fringe that are causing all this foolishness.
      As a card carrying member of the "environmentalist extreme fringe" (I would call it just being a good steward of God's planet), I suggest this is a good topic for the new Studebaker News Group. No Studebaker content here and lots of very strong (and opposing) views. Mine being one of them.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Don't get me wrong, Dick. I too care very much about our environment! I want clean, safe air, water, and soil just as much as anyone; and I do a lot personally toward that end.

I'm worried that we're headed down a road with less and less focus and common sense, and plunging headlong into planning that hasn't been thoroughly thought through- to the detriment of our country's well-being!

I took the time to post on this subject NOT to cause trouble, or to instigate a xxxxing contest; nor to start any politics-based arguments. It is my hope that I could get folks to really think about this, and consider the long-term consequences of getting off on a wrong road. You know by now that I don't look to start fights- we've got enough of that type- but post things that are a benefit. I have respect for others' opinions, whether they match mine or not- and whether I receive the same courtesy or not.

If I offend anyone, I am sorry. If you disagree, that's OK with me. All I ask is, understand the meaning (purpose) behind what I write.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Folks, we can talk this subject up and down - but the ONLY reason the green movement has latched onto E85 is because the combustion exhaust is low carbon. That's all! It's cleaner.

And Steinkamp can claim green awareness, but a real hardcore greenie wouldn't DARE drive a Stude. Their mindset is ALL old cars are bad for the planet (new motors, or not).

Chris Pile
          The Studebaker Special
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As has been suggested, please take this topic to another forum...along with my wishes for as happy holiday.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I run e-85 in my brand x's. I did some checking into this fuel before I started using it and one thing was made clear. Do not run it in a car that was not designed for it. This is not gas and it can do some damage if not used in the correct engine. At the least, it will make the car run poorly.

Best Wishes

Comment

quote:And Steinkamp can claim green awareness, but a real hardcore greenie wouldn't DARE drive a Stude. Their mindset is ALL old cars are bad for the planet (new motors, or not).

Chris Pile
                The Studebaker Special
                Midway Chapter SDC
                WRONG!

My wife is a hard-core left-wing "greenie." Her Sierra Club pals used to give her REAL crap about driving her 1955 Studebaker truck until she PROVED to them that driving an old car for 30 years kept in tip-top shape 6 or 7 thousand miles per year is FAR better for the planet than buying a new car every 4 or 5 years--even if that car is a Prius or some other hybrid. She used to keep the letter and report from Greepeace in her glovebox to show to naysayers.

Driving old Studebakers is GREAT for the environment--as long as you ONLY drive old Studebakers!! And me wife hasn't owned anything BUT a Studebaker for 25 years!

Comment

Working...
                X