Bearings and Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Bearings and Tools

Sounds like the diff on my 62 GT is going to need some attention very soon. Lots of clunking from fwd to reverse and a whine at high way speeds. I know I need a puller for the drums and I know SI has all of the seals and axle shims but I was wondering about bearings. I have a SKF and Timken cross reference. Will all the bearings be readily available? Any other special tools needed apart from the drum puller?

Yes you will need a special puller for diff. side bearings also bearing splitter for pinion bearings. Don't mess up shims, the like to stick to bearings. if whine is when pulling but quiet when coasting pinion bearings worn. replace bearings but be absolutely sure shims go back in original position. sounds like cross shaft is worn and "Spider Gears" are flopping round. try 4x4 shop for parts if Vendors can't help. Luck Doofus

Comment

First, check the oil level. Gear whine is a common indicator of low oil in the pumpkin.

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
        Yes you will need a special puller for diff. side bearings also bearing splitter for pinion bearings. Don't mess up shims, the like to stick to bearings. if whine is when pulling but quiet when coasting pinion bearings worn. replace bearings but be absolutely sure shims go back in original position. sounds like cross shaft is worn and "Spider Gears" are flopping round. try 4x4 shop for parts if Vendors can't help. Luck Doofus
        Yes the whine is when pulling and quiet when coasting so I'll plan on pinion bearings. SI has a side gear kit with the shaft, gears and thrust washers. Maybe I should plan on buying that and replacing the gears as well as the shaft. Just hope the ring and pinion are ok! Are the puller for the side bearings and pinion bearing splitter unique to this rear end? If so where can I get them? There is a guy not too far away from me that has many Studes, hopefully I can borrow some of this stuff from him. Thanks for your help..

Comment

Check with rockauto they also have all the parts that you need to go though the rear end on a Dana 44. If I where doing it I would pull the whole rear out of the car and work on it on a bench. That way you can clean it good and repaint and a lot easier to work on when you not under the car on a creeper. Just go thought it end to end and you should never have to worry about it again. Steve

Comment

If you are mucking around changing bearings, get one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...cator-623.html and one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...per-93293.html Best $27 you'll spend if you don't have them.

Dana/Spicer has a very good manual on their website pertaining to all things important to working on the rearends.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              Check with rockauto they also have all the parts that you need to go though the rear end on a Dana 44. If I where doing it I would pull the whole rear out of the car and work on it on a bench. That way you can clean it good and repaint and a lot easier to work on when you not under the car on a creeper. Just go thought it end to end and you should never have to worry about it again. Steve
              Good advice.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                First, check the oil level. Gear whine is a common indicator of low oil in the pumpkin.
                Replaced the pinion seal last year and refilled with oil. Have a feeling more wrong but I sure wish it was just the oil!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  If you are mucking around changing bearings, get one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...cator-623.html and one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...per-93293.html Best $27 you'll spend if you don't have them.

Dana/Spicer has a very good manual on their website pertaining to all things important to working on the rearends.

Bob
                  I have the calipers but will need the dial gauge.. thanks...

Comment

Working...
                  X