Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Nuts and bolts 1957 GH

Hi:
    I have a simple or stupid question. I am replacing the crankshaft seal in the timing cover of a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk (289/ original engine) In removing the water pump housing I find a variety of 5/16 18 threads per inch 1 1/4 to 2 inches and a stud with mixed 18 threads per inch and 24 threads per inch (for generator adjusting arm). As you may well imagine I am not the first person to remove this manifold.
    Some of these bolts have both 5/15 lock and flat washers and some only have lock washers.
    The question is should they all have lock and flat washers? I cannot tell from the manuals.
    thanks

Chassis Parts Catalog
    In each section there is a breakdown of every part including nuts, bolts, screws, washers. Size and length.
    For instance, Engine Section, page #24, description, "COVER, timing gear", then each part.
    Kind of a hassle to look up the illustration, find the part number, then cross reference that to the description, but it can be done.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

flat and lock washers

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      Hi:
      I have a simple or stupid question. I am replacing the crankshaft seal in the timing cover of a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk (289/ original engine) In removing the water pump housing I find a variety of 5/16 18 threads per inch 1 1/4 to 2 inches and a stud with mixed 18 threads per inch and 24 threads per inch (for generator adjusting arm). As you may well imagine I am not the first person to remove this manifold.
      Some of these bolts have both 5/15 lock and flat washers and some only have lock washers.
      The question is should they all have lock and flat washers? I cannot tell from the manuals.
      thanks
      I have two unmolested 259s and the water pump manifold has a lock washer on top of flat washer on all the bolts. the generator bracket mount stud is 5/16-18 stud in to the block with 5/16-24 exposed for the generator bracket. The timing gear cover has only lock washers.

Comment

All:
        Thank you for the help {55 56 PREZ 4D}. Yes I did find the reference in “The Chassis Parts Catalog” on page 6 (0505-34) that leads to page 154 that lists the associate stud, bolts and washers. It still was not clear to me as to which bolts got which and or which combination of washers. With the clarification provided from his “259s” {ALTAIR} it is now crystal clear that one of the P.O.s was careless in his/her reassembly,
        Thanks I got it from here.

Comment

Working...
        X