Composite Cam Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Composite Cam Gear

How many miles, under normal engine use, can an OEM style fiber cam gear be expected to last?

150,000 miles for Studebaker V8 engines
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
      How many miles, under normal engine use, can an OEM style fiber cam gear be expected to last?
      Unknowable, because there are so many variables with oil changes, gear ratios, transmission, driving styles.

FWIW, I've never failed a V8 gear in normal driving.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

The original to the engine gear in my 55 let loose while cruising down the freeway at about 60 mph.
        This was around 2013, with about 120,000 miles on the engine.
        She just quietly stopped running, kind of like a soft sigh. I coasted to the side of the road. called AAA and waited.
        I was on 101 at Pismo Beach, 10pm on a Sunday night, crystal clear sky with a full moon, Pacific Ocean to my right, hills to my left.
        I replaced it with another fiber gear. The original went 58 years and 120,000 miles. It proved to be made of stout stuff.
        I figured an aluminum gear would be overkill.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks ALL for the responses. They're appreciated. Composite gear it is, then...

Comment

345 Desoto You will never wear out a composite gear with the miles that these old cars are driven today.

Comment

Once I get the Hawk back together, I plan on a daily driver.

Comment

I sold my 62 Daytona 289 with 156,000 miles and I had an Isky ST-5 Cam Kit in the engine. The original Composite Cam gear was still doing its duty, quietly.

Comment

Working...
                X