Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garyash
    replied
    Bump. I'm still looking for a 1936 or 1937 President 3-speed transmission without overdrive. Dictator or J5 Coupe Express transmissions won't fit. There is just no room for my legs and feet with the overdrive case. Somewhere, out there, must be one of these...

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Thanks Gary! Isn't it fun dealing with the later Commander/President straight eight! There are so many combinations, and they were made in such relatively small numbers, that you really have to know your stuff to keep them straight (no pun intended). Three O/D transmissions in 1937, that's new to me! I knew of two, I own a car with each. Is the third trans. the non O/D that you spoke of, and has Jerry ever seen one, how about Rex? Nobody has ever been able to tell me how the crankshaft for the 1936-37 is different from the later engines, or whether you can use a later crank in a 36-37 engine.

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    Yes, Bill, there were standard 3-speed transmissions without OD in 1937. See attached drawing. My 1929-40 parts book shows that the 1936 transmissions were identical externally, but with a few minor changes between 1936 and 1937 internally. There must be one from a 2C or 3C car someplace.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	transmission-2C-3C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1707447

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Was there even a President, non O/D trans available from 1935-42? The Dictator/Commander cars were available w/o O/D, but I thought that all Presidents came with O/D as standard. Maybe 1932-34 would work, but good luck finding one!

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Kind of hijacking this thread, but I bought what is supposedly a '37 President or Commander transmission at the Portland swap meet from a gentleman who apparently had it shipped from somewhere, found it was wrong for his application, and never used used it. Looks like it has a free-wheeling lockout, but no overdrive, as there is neither a solenoid nor a governor, nor a place to mount them. It appears to be in fine condition. I could measure it up, and snap some pics for you, Gary, if you think it might work for you. I don't think of the rear section as being exceedingly wide; it's just the same as the main case of the transmission. Long top-mounted shift lever comes with. Lockout control is on passenger side. Also a rubber-donut driveshaft comes with.

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    Thanks for the offer, but the Dictator/CE transmissions are different from the President transmissions. In particular, the CE shifter is way at the front of the box, which would be difficult in the Indy car. I'll have to measure the input shaft dimensions and flange bolt pattern to see if there is any hope, but I didn't see any common part numbers in the book for the Dictator/CE and President boxes. In fact, there is a '37 CE transmission on Ebay right now, item 252411941717.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    I have the low profile tranny from my CE which is a floor shift no overdrive version. It has been lying about for decades though so needs attention prior to use. I'll let it go reasonably.

Leave a comment:

• Wanted: 1936 or 1937 President transmission without overdrive/freewheeling

After considering a couple of different transmissions for my replica Indy car, I got a 1937 President transmission from Jerry Kurtz. Jerry and I had already tried some other combinations. It's the type with manual lockout of overdrive, not the automatic overdrive version. Unfortunately, the overdrive section is so wide that there is no room for my legs and feet to work pedals. The engine and bell housing are from a 1937 President eight. Does anyone have a regular 3-speed floor shift transmission from a 1937 President without overdrive? We could swap transmissions if you want overdrive in your car. Maybe a 1936 President transmission would also fit. The factory changed the part numbers on transmissions and bell housings at least once a year, so it's not clear if anything else would bolt in easily. If you have one, please bring it to the Warwick meet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	no_room_for feet.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1751222
    Last edited by garyash; 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM.
Working...
X