Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: FOM Selector shaft oil leak

Hi all,

I have a significant oil leak from the selector shaft on the FOM. I have read through the manual on how to replace both the seals, where several of the transmission valve bodies have to be removed to get at it. Has anyone else done this, and have some tips?
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Yes and it's a pain. valve bodies come down as suspected but you need to disconnect park pawl linkage and watch for detent ball to pop out and hit you in the nose.IIRC a piece of tubing was used to hold ball in place while installing "Cocks Comb" back in place. removing park pawl link allows more wiggle room, you will understand better when you get into it. you will want to do this on a lift. Luck Doofus

Comment

The fella that just rebuilt the FOM in my Avanti would probably call anybody a fool for attempting this in the car. After a few hours of fiddling with the rooster comb and shooting the detent ball in every possible direction, he finally pulled all the clutches and drums out of the case and wrestled the detent ball and rooster comb together. And this was all on the bench after a complete rebuild!!

He said that automatic transmissions typically have a hole in the detent ball that you can lace a string thru to compress the spring, all in the spirit of easing assembly. The Stude version of the FOM apparently does not incorporate this handy feature. You may want to ask around at a local tranny shop and see if you could pick up one of these detent balls from a "ford o matic" instead of a "flight o matic", with the hole in it. Just an idea. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys. After I posted I did some more searching and found an article written by a Thunderbird guy who did the seals on his 'Cruise-O-Matic' (FOM). It was a step by step 'How to'. He also suggested the tubing method for reinstalling the detent ball, which apparently is shaped like a bullet, on their trannys anyway. He also spent considerable time crawling around looking for it after the spring launched it into orbit around his workshop ;-) I've decided to leave it for a while, I can put up with the oil leak at present, and have other Studes to attend to. The main reason it was peeing me off was that the oil doesn't drop straight down from the tranny onto the floor, it runs down the 'L' shaped external lever onto the exhaust, so for the first 20 minutes of a trip the damn car looks like it's on fire ;-0 Not a good look at an intersection, or for Studes in general. Sooooo, I released my inner CASO and made up a deflector from some ally sheet. The oil now drips off the lever onto the deflector and onto the ground. May the Gods of Engineering have mercy on my soul ;-)
        Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM.
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Ahmen Brother!!!Doofus

Comment

Yeah, my parking pawl doesn't work (probably stripped), so I made a parking Pawl (Chok Block set) and now just chock the wheels.

Comment

Outstanding!!! Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                Yes and it's a pain. valve bodies come down as suspected but you need to disconnect park pawl linkage and watch for detent ball to pop out and hit you in the nose.IIRC a piece of tubing was used to hold ball in place while installing "Cocks Comb" back in place. removing park pawl link allows more wiggle room, you will understand better when you get into it. you will want to do this on a lift. Luck Doofus
                Have look at the two photos. You can hold the ball in place with a steel rule- the hole in the end will locate the ball. press the rule down against the spring and insert the pawl. The rule can then be slipped out.
                Check out the blogsite listed on Bob Johnstone's Studebaker Resource site about reconditioning FOM's/ also
                on http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com.au/
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02362.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1707451Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02361.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1707452

Comment

Working...