Pertronix noobie question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Pertronix noobie question?

Do Pertronix Ignitors without the Roman numeral have that plastic ring with the magnets? I just upgraded the Champ from an Ignitor to an Ignitor II. The Ignitor didn't that ring. The Ignitor II did.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
    Do Pertronix Ignitors without the Roman numeral have that plastic ring with the magnets? I just upgraded the Champ from an Ignitor to an Ignitor II. The Ignitor didn't that ring. The Ignitor II did.
    Something (old style magnet carrier) must have been slid down over the "cam" of the distributor, or it wouldn't have worked. The newer ones are a different design, but work the same way-magnet through the field creates signal.

Comment

The distributor is a Delco window unit. The old Pertronix kit seems to be a 1181. The replacement is a 91181. I could have shown there was nothing on the cam, but tomorrow or later, I'll take the cap off and check again.
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Just reviewed the 1181 kit install, http://www.pertronix.com/support/vid...y/default.aspx the "magnet ring" is under the rotor with posts coming up and through the advance mechanism and rotor and two nuts holding the rotor on, replacing the original hold down screws. The sensor "trigger" is on top of the module instead of pointing towards the shaft cam, like Autolite/Prestolite types, probably because the advance mechanism is on top, instead of under the breaker plate--who knew?.
        Last edited by karterfred88; 06-21-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X