Front Body Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Front Body Mounts

I have a metallic thumping noise on my 62 GT that I thought was the shock that was missing it's bushing but the springs have been re-arched, a spring added and new shocks installed and the noise is still there. In the process of trying to see if any body panels are loose and making the sound I found that both front body mount bolts are loose. Not loose enough to turn by hand but close to that. Are these supposed to be torqued down to a specific torque or tightened as much as possible? I cannot find my mirror to look and see if the nut is castellated but I could not get a socket or wrench on it. Anybody know what size it is? Here are some pics of the bolt I'm talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090275.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1751212Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090274.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1751213 Don't think this is the cause of the noise as it seems to be coming from the rear. It sounds like a broken shock so I am surprised that wasn't the problem. I only hear it when in motion and it is not exhaust, that has been checked thoroughly. Any ideas?

Could be that the rubber pad between the mount and the frame has disintegrated and the mount is bumping against the frame.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
      Could be that the rubber pad between the mount and the frame has disintegrated and the mount is bumping against the frame.
      That is the type of sound so that could very well be it. These were at the front but it sounds like from the rear. Are there similar mounts at the rear? Can one just remove the bolts and insert new rubber?

Comment

Not quite as easy as that. Soak the bolt threads with a good rust penetrating fluid. Remove them. Then devise a way to lift the body enough to remove the old and then install the new rubber pieces. Do a search to find info on whats needed, but most people use 2" squares cut from the sides of old tires. There will be steel spacers of varying thickness. Replace them in the same locations. Don't mix them up.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Not quite as easy as that. Soak the bolt threads with a good rust penetrating fluid. Remove them. Then devise a way to lift the body enough to remove the old and then install the new rubber pieces. Do a search to find info on whats needed, but most people use 2" squares cut from the sides of old tires. There will be steel spacers of varying thickness. Replace them in the same locations. Don't mix them up.
          OK thanks very much!

Comment

http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...oduct=rubbert&
            This is one source.
            http://www.studebakervendors.com/
            You will probably find other sources here.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...oduct=rubbert&
              This is one source.
              http://www.studebakervendors.com/
              You will probably find other sources here.
              Thank You.

Comment

Also, and it may not apply here, be sure the bolt hasn't already "bottomed out" if it is a "blind" nut or a shouldered bolt. It looks like these have been removed before with no rust showing, so a wrong length shoulder on a bolt will "bottom out" and not let you actually tighten it past the threads, causing you to break it off trying. Just a caution.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                  Also, and it may not apply here, be sure the bolt hasn't already "bottomed out" if it is a "blind" nut or a shouldered bolt. It looks like these have been removed before with no rust showing, so a wrong length shoulder on a bolt will "bottom out" and not let you actually tighten it past the threads, causing you to break it off trying. Just a caution.
                  Excellent point.. That could be the cause of the whole problem. Haven't checked the rear mounts yet. Waiting to get it up on a hoist. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X