Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gasket

I just got a new fuel sending unit for my Hawk an I was wondering should you use gasket goo on the new gasket? It's a thick rubber one

No need if tank mounting surface is clean and rust pit free. Luck Doofus

Comment

I use a bit of RTV. Before you install it check the resistance. chances are infinite! I think you should see about 4 Ohms on one end and 140 to 160 on the other- might want to double check my nos. I've put 2 "new" ones on only to remove them and re-install the old one after a good cleaning with contact cleaner.

Comment

33 ohms to 240 ohms should be the range. seems all Stewart Warner senders and gauges need same resistance readings. luck Doofus

Comment

No matter what the gasket material is, some people have trouble sealing that area while others never have any leak at all. A leak at the sender, or just a strong gas smell, might appear only when the tank is topped off.
          I like a product called E-Seal. Sold as a thread sealant, it is ethanol resistant. Apply a THIN layer to both sides of the gasket and the screw threads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Seal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1707400
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I agree with Dwain. Though the gasket should do the job on it's own, I worry about gas wicking the screw threads. A little thread sealer is cheap insurance.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Fuel Tank, Sealing Washers.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1707409Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Fuel Tank, Sending Unit (1).jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1707410

The original crushable copper gasket-washers under each screw will prevent leakage at the screws but if you can't find them, you can substitute Standard Thredseal Washer P/N 750-0002-10. See the article in issues 73 and 74 of the 56J Only Newsletter.
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X