ISO 64 commander parts and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarsonArtist View Post
    Thanks! The steering is really stiff. I am no stranger to manual steering but this is silly. After driving it around town, I have red marks on my hands and my shoulder hurts lol!

Im planning on getting some new rims down the road, so what you are saying is that if I get bigger tires, get different rims, right?
    My car has the same suspension as yours. I also have manual steering. I can turn the wheel, even on a U turn, or parallel parking, by using one finger on the steering wheel. Also, with radial tires and a 1 degree toe in on the front, it tracks straight and true on the highway.
    Good luck
    sals54

Comment

A better rim would be those from MoPar products....I have Cordoba rims on my Avanti.
      Originally posted by gordr View Post
      What the others have said. Second the recommendation to see Chuck Collins. Check the condition of the steering center pivot, right smack in the middle of the front crossmember. It is lubed from a grease fitting found in a recess on the back side of that crossmember, and lube shops routinely fail to find it. The steering bell crank is attached to that pivot shaft by a large pinch bolt, and should that bolt become loose, the steering will become very vague. Worn parts replaced, and all properly lubricated, the car will steer fine. Don't try to mount vastly oversized radial tires. They add to steering effort, and may cause the rims to crack. 205-75R15 is about as big as you should go on stock rims. If you must have bigger tires, find some suitable Ford rims. This is a serious safety issue. I have personally experienced cracked Studebaker rims, caused by big radial tires.

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonArtist View Post
        Thanks! The steering is really stiff. I am no stranger to manual steering but this is silly. After driving it around town, I have red marks on my hands and my shoulder hurts lol!
        See if some nimrod has over tightened the steering box adjustment. When attempting to eliminate steering wheel slop, many people go straight for the steering box. The big culprit on a Studebaker is the bell crank, but most folks don't even look there.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-27-2016, 11:24 AM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
        X