No announcement yet.

Replacement radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Jeep/Chevy conversion radiator will fit the Hawk too. I have used radiators from a Lark into my Hawk when I needed to. Looked identical to my eyes.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have a new Champion CC1919 that I mistakenly thought would fit in my 53' coupe. It has been trimmed to fit but is just too tall. $140.00 shipped to lower 48. This is the CJ Chevy conversion unit. trimmed on bottom only.
      Good Luck, JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	trimrad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1707079

Comment

The Jeep/chevy v8 conversion radiator fitted straight in to my Hawk with 7mm taken off the tabs on each side. Cost was less than 200. Bargain. Hoses are stock Stude, but needed to trim 1/2" or so length off the top one.

Comment

The recommendation of a rad from a CJ Jeep Chevy engine conversion is good, but it is hardly "plug and play." Drilling and tapping mounting holes is awkward but can be done. However, the bottom hose outlet is 1 3/4" instead of Studebaker's 1 1/2" Finally found NAPA #7694 which was perfect (cut off about 8")

Then the fan hit the radiator at the bottom. A smaller fan I found in my parts worked, not sure where its from. No spacer. After market fans would be good, but the pilot hole on the Stude fans is 1" and I couldn't find anyone who made one (all 5/8" or 3/4") Then you need to fabricate a fan shroud or use one of the universal types sold by Speedway Motors or Summit.

A couple of frustrating days but it looks good now.Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator_0002_edited-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1707367 Note the recovery type overflow bottle. Had to drink that Coors beer for the right can.
          John Henne
          Shelburne, NH
          Northeast Zone Coordinator

Comment

Looks good--how does it work??

Comment

I recently did the rebuild of my original Lark radiator. $700 locally. I could have done the Jeep CJ conversions thing, but I didn't have time to research since I was trying to meet a deadline. It was re-cored to a 3-row with the original top and bottom tank.

If I need to do it again, I will probably go the Jeep Conversion route.
              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                Looks good--how does it work??
                Don't know yet. Just started it this PM but haven't driven it yet.
                John Henne
                Shelburne, NH
                Northeast Zone Coordinator

Comment

That does look really Great! It just may get a little hot with those shorter 6 Cylinder Fan Blades in there, but you never know with the increased Radiator flow, a really Clean Block and the shroud it may be fine for at least 80 degrees outside or less.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X