Replacement radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Replacement radiator

I need a radiator for my 1961 Lark Cruiser 289 (Y6.) SI wants $650. Any cheaper suggestions?

John Henne
    Shelburne, NH
    John Henne
    Shelburne, NH
    Northeast Zone Coordinator

Are you certain yours isn't repairable? There aren't many old school radiator shops left, but there are a few.

Comment

Repair of a 50 year old radiator usually translates to re-cored. As long as the tanks are OK, and they likely are, it is possible to re-core it. However, a good re-core is not cheap. I paid around $700 each, to have the three Hawks' radiators re-cored around five years ago. Those were top-line cores, equivalent to a five-row core, if Stude had made such a thing. My guess, SI is selling standard quality, two, or maybe three-row radiators for $650. You could have your own re-cored for about same price, with maybe a little better core.

Alternately, the aluminum radiator used for SBC conversions in certain Jeeps may fit the bill nicely for you. Do a search of the archives here, but I recall that it is almost a drop in replacement. If so, I am guessing it would cost around $300 on-line, nowadays.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but some one said gt hawks and larks are the same. I have a new un-used gt hawk radiator on ebay for about half that amount. Some one more knowledgeable than I may chime in to confirm. The number on the radiator is 1554341 and the parts book says except (Y1-Y3-F3-P3 289" USA) 62V,63V,64V.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112015856775...84.m1555.l2649
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I see the OP lives in NH, so even a two-row core would likely suffice, but a three row would fit the bill better. How many rows does the one on ebay have? Cannot tell the number of rows from the pix, nor from the description.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Repair of a 50 year old radiator usually translates to re-cored. As long as the tanks are OK, and they likely are, it is possible to re-core it. However, a good re-core is not cheap. I paid around $700 each, to have the three Hawks' radiators re-cored around five years ago. Those were top-line cores, equivalent to a five-row core, if Stude had made such a thing. My guess, SI is selling standard quality, two, or maybe three-row radiators for $650. You could have your own re-cored for about same price, with maybe a little better core.

Alternately, the aluminum radiator used for SBC conversions in certain Jeeps may fit the bill nicely for you. Do a search of the archives here, but I recall that it is almost a drop in replacement. If so, I am guessing it would cost around $300 on-line, nowadays.
            1972-86 Jeep CJ to Chevy V8 conversion radiation is all but 100% plug n play into a 1959-66 Lark type; regardless of Stude or Chevy V8
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The one I have on ebay is a standard 2 row. I just added that to the description.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I think this is what 1962Larksedan is thinking of, might be some threads on what if any mods are needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Core-R...ts=Make%3AJeep

Comment

Agree, aluminum is definitely the way to go.....takes a few pounds off the front end too!

Comment

If it fits, the aluminum radiator is definitely the way the O.P. should go.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I found a good shop in Beaverton, Oregon that did a re-core for me for under $500, including a new thermostat and water pump.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

With the aluminum ones so cheap, I would not do a re-core unless I was looking for originality. I am beginning to wonder if I should just keep this as a spare for my GT!
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I've used Nissan I believe 280Z radiators for replacements in my Speedster and Champ. Cost was maybe $135 to $165. had to modify the upper tube slightly for the Speedster. No change for the champ. Virtually the same core surface area and dimensions but had an extra core of thickness which the engines liked. Held perhaps 20% more liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                            I think this is what 1962Larksedan is thinking of, might be some threads on what if any mods are needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Core-R...ts=Make%3AJeep
                            This is what I put in my 62 Lark. Had to drill new holes in the flange, but otherwise it was a perfect fit. The price is right too!
                            Mike Davis
                            Regional Manager, North Carolina
                            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                              Yeah, if this is a fit (even if it needs minor tweaking) I am thinking this would be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X