1937 President 8 Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1937 President 8 Cylinder

Help! Member in need of a cylinder head. Tried to repair the one on the car, but it is cracked, nearly in two.
    Bo

I wish you good luck in finding one. The head on my 1940 President was cracked in half at about the halfway point. I had no problem buying a new head gasket. A new head was another problem. I knew of an engine that had been pulled to make a street rod. I went to the junk yard where the engine was taken. I climbed a large pile of slippery (mix of oil and water/antifreeze) engines and removed the head. I tend to remember things like that <G>.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bo,

Need to know if the head is the original aluminum head. All Presidents 1935-37 used an aluminum head, but of different manufacture. By this time many, if not most of the 1937 heads have been replaced with newer 1938-42 cast iron heads. Today it would take an exceptionally good restorable aluminum head, or a zealot like me to want to use one. The cast iron heads are around and should be available for about $200-$400.

Comment

If it's an aluminum head, it could be repaired.... Cast I wouldn't

Comment

Experience has taught me that most of the aluminum heads are well passed their prime. There is generally corrosion that can go right through the casting. There can also be a myriad of small cracks that only magnafluxing can detect. Find a good head and you are still only half way there, then you have to find a competent and willing welder to do the job.

Comment

The original aluminum head has long since been replaced by later 38-42 cast head. This one can't be repaired, or rather the attempt has all ready been made and it failed. Any body out there have a good one to sell?
            Bo

Comment

Bo---If you have not yet found a head I sent you a PM on a possible source. Tom

Comment

Bo ,try Steven Allens. Doofus

Comment

Working...
                X