Differential Summary - Kinds and sizes used by Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Differential Summary - Kinds and sizes used by Studebaker

I am wondering if anyone has put together a summary of Studebaker differential sizes and kinds. I have several that I would like to identify. Is there a good thread already out there?

Were there different widths? Is there an easy way to identify type and gear ratio?

The only things I know at this point are:

(1) 4 bolts used for some up to 1950;
    (2) 5 bolts used after;
    (3) 1965-1966 used flanged axles;
    (4) Pre-1965 used tapered axles;
    (5) Twin traction differentials can be identified by putting you finger in the fill hole. If gears just inside, then Twin traction.

I understand (?) that gear ratios can be determined by turning the pinion gear and counting the number of turns of the wheels. I understand I will get something in the order of 3:1 to 4:1 with the lower ratio best for highway speeds. Gear ratios offered were ?. Does the tag (if present) identify the ratio? Were truck differentials different?

4 bolt flanges up to 1950 were on Champions.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

In the cars, 52 and older are narrower than 53 and newer.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Just limiting your discussion to the Stude versions make the discussion/summary easier to accomplish, but then there are gears and limited slips used by other OEMs and the aftermarket and some use non-Stude parts for their application.

The ratio tag gives pinion teeth over ring gear teeth; for example 10/39 = 3.90

Gear ratios included:

2.56 (Stude never offered this, but Joe Hall, among others, used one in a '56J)

Then, there are axle spline differences in later versions.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

When did factory provided access holes for wheel bearing grease fittings appear or disappear ?
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            When did factory provided access holes for wheel bearing grease fittings appear or disappear ?
            Around 1956 is when they disappeared on passenger cars. The Chassis Catalog has the precise information. They were on the 1/2 ton trucks through the end of production.

Comment

And at this point no one has even mentioned the different types...23/27/41/44.

Comment

Yes, thank you for your input so far.
                When I tried to google "differential 23", and so on, I get mathematical differential equations and solutions for Crohn's disease.
                My 1955s have wheel bearing grease fittings, but apparently it is really easy to overfill and mess up the rear brakes.

Comment

Are you limiting this to cars? I believe my 49 2R16A has a 6.56 rear.

Comment

Never knew about the 2:88, aside of being Automatic what Model would this have been offered in ?

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Just limiting your discussion to the Stude versions make the discussion/summary easier to accomplish, but then there are gears and limited slips used by other OEMs and the aftermarket and some use non-Stude parts for their application.

The ratio tag gives pinion teeth over ring gear teeth; for example 10/39 = 3.90

Gear ratios included:

2.56 (Stude never offered this, but Joe Hall, among others, used one in a '56J)

Then, there are axle spline differences in later versions.

jack vines
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

AFAIK, the 2.88 was never offered by Stude. It was used in Jaguars, Sunbeam Tigers and some Fords.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                        And at this point no one has even mentioned the different types...23/27/41/44.
                        For your information Paul, these important Model Numbers can be found RAISED in the Casting on the Web between the Right Hand Axle tube and the Center "Pumpkin" usually on the Rear side but sometimes on the Forward side.

The Cars use 23, 27 and 44. 1958 is when they stopped using the H.D. Model 44 on all V8's.
                        After '58, you only find them on 289's, Taxis, Police and Station Wagons, of course that includes Avanti, Jet thrust & Super Jet Thrust Cars.

Also Note: not ALL 1965's have Flanged Axles, it was a Mid-year change.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As hinted at, the 1/2-ton trucks used the Dana 41 and 44 axles, mostly with 4.09 through 4.88 ratios. The larger trucks used axles from several suppliers with much lower ratios. Including them in this discussion may overly complicate matters.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

found out a couple weeks ago that there's an easier way to ID TT rears.... Hit the gas and watch for 2 skid marks!!!!!!!

Comment

Dana 41 was also used in 1950 and earlier Commander/Land Cruiser.

Comment

Working...
                              X